Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 AM

Question Problems with external MIDI devices and Pro Tools 8

Hi all,

I have 2 big problems with how MIDI is working with my Pro Tools setup. Before I get to the problems I suppose I should describe my MIDI setup. I currently have a Kurzweil PC3x connected by usb, a Korg microKontrol connected by USB, and an MPC 2000XL connected to my Digi002's MIDI in/out. All of these are enabled as MIDI controllers (input devices) in pro tools.

OK so now the problems:
1. The first and most significant is that the I/O of the MIDI track doesn't seem to work correctly. This becomes evident the second I try to setup multiple tracks with different inputs and outputs. For example, if I add MIDI tracks to a session and select channel 1 of the MPC 2000XL (for example) as the input of a midi track and channel 1 of the PC3x as the output, every controller will still send data to channel 1 of the PC3x even though only the MPC should be! It seems like the MIDI channels are stuck in some kind of OMNI mode. IS there some setting I need to enable for the MIDI I/O to actually start routing correctly? Or will I really be forced to record one midi track at a time?

2. The second problem is that although pro tools recognizes the PC3x for receiving MIDI signals, it doesn't seem to be able to send MIDI to the PC3x via the usb emulated midi out. The only way that I was able to get a signal out from Pro Tools to the PC3x was to connect a MIDI cable to the Digi002's second MIDI out port. Does anyone have any experience getting the usb emulated midi out ports to work?

I have more keyboards and gear that I want to connect but can't even get a simple setup running right. I've been trying to figure this out for several days and having no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Problems with external MIDI devices and Pro Tools 8

1. Make sure your Default MIDI Thru instrument is set to 'none' in Preferences>MIDI and that MIDI Thru is checked under the MIDI menu.

2. Make sure the PC3x is enabled in the MIDI Studio Setup.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the response RTFM,

I've tried your suggestions but it seems that once I set Default MIDI Thru instrument to none, I can't pass any MIDI signals at all.

Also, all of my midi gear, the PC3x included, is setup in the Midi Studio Setup screen, but it still only receives signals if I set it up to use a real midi cable (via the 002's midi out port) instead of usb.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Hi RTFM... I'm sorry... I realized that I didn't have the MIDI channel record enabled when I test your solution for problem 1. So that is actually working correctly now! Thanks

Still not sure why can't send signal to the PC3x via usb though
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Hi RTFM... I'm sorry... I realized that I didn't have the MIDI channel record enabled when I test your solution for problem 1. So that is actually working correctly now! Thanks

Still not sure why can't send signal to the PC3x via usb though
Are all it's ports enabled in MIDI Studio Setup?