Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Upgrade/perpetual/monthly/surrender/huh?

So, I asked about this a while ago, but it's still unclear. Sorry.

So, I have PT 11 HD. It's $599 to upgrade to 12, right? What does that involve exactly? Does that require me to surrender my 11 license? Do I still get to own (the one I bought) 11, AND own a license of 12 HD?

I find it incredibly bogus that you can have a trial of 11 or 11 HD for free, but they don't offer the same trial with 12. The WHOLE PURPOSE of me even CONSIDERING 12, considering 11 hasn't worked properly for me since I've owned it (yes, following all of the criteria AVID recommends), is to have a version that doesn't have laggy faders/graphics and no 9173 errors with light sessions.

Is there a monthly subscription I can purchase of 12 HD to test and make sure it solved the sticky graphics, or does one LITERALLY have to spend $600 to test it on their system, and if no dice, you're out of luck? It would still be bogus to pay AVID $25 to try their software, but, what other choice do you have? $599 for essentially an 11.3.3 update. Unbelievable. Oh yeah.. Commit track was added. Cool...
Old 11-14-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Upgrade/perpetual/monthly/surrender/huh?

Upgrading would require surrender of your HD 10/11 Bundle, and you'd get an HD 10/11/12 bundle in return.

I'll pass another request on to get the Trial updated to 12...
Old 11-16-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Upgrading would require surrender of your HD 10/11 Bundle, and you'd get an HD 10/11/12 bundle in return.

I'll pass another request on to get the Trial updated to 12...
So this means I actually own 10/11/12? They ALL belong to me, and I could switch to any one I choose whenever I choose? What happens after a year? Does pro tools cease to work, or do I just own whatever the last version is for 10/11/12? All 3 versions are perpetual??

Also, thanks for passing the request. I do appreciate it. I must say though, it kind of baffles me as to why something like this should even be considered to have requests to make this happen. There's only under two months to actually have this take place for testing different OS's/Versions/what seems like inevitable forum conversations regarding bugs. One can't be expected to drop that kind of money without any kind of guarantee. What is one supposed to do in a situation like this? Seems pretty unfair and unappreciative of their customers to do such a thing, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
So this means I actually own 10/11/12
Yes. You will own it like your versions of Pro Tools before except now you will have 3 different versions available to use.
Itīs a combi-license for all 3 versions and itīs up to you which one to install. As long as you have this combi-license on
your iLok then you simply can get the iLok and use it with another version of Pro Tools on another system additionally
for example. Means, use the iLok with PT12 on one system, with PT10 on another one (if this would be wanted/needed).

Quote:
Does pro tools cease to work, or do I just own whatever the last version is for 10/11/12? All 3 versions are perpetual??
No, not at all, your Pro Tools DAW will continue to work for good and, yes, all 3 are perpetual ones as this new license will
be a perpetual combi-license for all 3.

Quote:
What happens after a year?
With your Pro Tools DAW (your license for all 3 versions of it) nothing will happen.

However what will happen will be that your update/upgrade plan which will be an annual service only will expire and, if
you will want to receive further updates/upgrades, you will have to renew to plan/the service by paying another annual fee.
But, again, this will have absolutely no influence on the functionality of the Pro Tools DAW itself. Pro Tools software and all
included original plugins and VIs will just continue to work without any limitations (fully updated to this particular point then).

You only will not receive any further updates/upgrades anymore for it (given you decide not to renew the update/upgrade
plan/service for another year.

The cool thing with this new update/upgrade thing will be that any kinds of updates/upgrades now will be included in this annual
upgrade fee.
Means, with former versions of PT you got the sub-updates (PT12.1 to 12.2 e.g.) for free but you always had to pay (not the least)
for main upgrades (from PT9 to 10 etc.).
Now in the annual upgrade plan even those main upgrades, from PT12 to 13 for example will be included as well and you will
not have to pay for those any extra money anymore. So this is not that bad imo.

The annual upgrade plan/service for HD also includes continous Avid support per phone and Mail as well as a bunch of nice and seriously
useable Avid Pro plugins which are cool stuff indeed. Those bonus plugins however you can only use as long as you are using the upgrade+
support service. If you would decide not to renew the upgrade plan one day those particular bonus plugins would not be accessible anymore.

Unlike your original Pro Tools DAW (PT12, 11 and 10) and all the standard plugins and VIs which, once again, will work for you
for good because these you actually own.

You see, the whole upgrade comes in 2 different parts finally.
Part 1 is the perpetual combi-license for Pro Tools 12HD, 11HD and 10HD incl. all the standard plugins+VIs you will own
and you will be able to use for good.
Part 2 is the update/upgrade plan which will be kinda "rented" on an annual basis incl. continuos Avid support and Avid Pro plugins.
This service will include all updates and upgrades (sub and main) and will have to be renewed by the user annually by paying a fee.

The monthly or annual subscription for Pro Tools software will be a completely different thing as this option will be the 2nd option to use
Pro Tools software starting with 2016. This has nothing to do with the perpetual licenses and is only an additional offer by Avid for people
who donīt need to own Pro Tools but use it just for a limited time. This will be kinda "rental" service but it will be offered additionally besides
the standard perpetual Pro Tools licenses.

Btw there obviously is no option to subscribe for HD, it is for the Native version only. Anyway Avid have included many HD features in PT12 Native
lately. Me personally use PT12HD with a 2014 MBP i7 Quad 16GB Ram and an Apollo interface and have to say I have never experienced laggy
faders/graphics or any errors so far. Itīs really working fine here. Smoother and tighter app than 11 used to be imo.

The best of success to you.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 AM

I still don't get it really. I jumped on board early and paid Ģ599 for the perpetual HD 12 licence. So exactly what, if anything, will I have to pay next year, in order to keep my rig up-to-date?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I still don't get it really. I jumped on board early and paid Ģ599 for the perpetual HD 12 licence. So exactly what, if anything, will I have to pay next year, in order to keep my rig up-to-date?
According to the info provided in the Avid store it will $399.- for HD users to renew the upgrade+support plan.

This is it what it says:
1-year Annual Upgrade and Support Plan with access to all new Pro Tools releases, bonus plug-ins, and Avid ExpertPlus
support, renewable annually for $399/year.

You can double check it by going to the Avid Store, click on info at -Pro Tools | HD Annual Upgrade and Support Plan- and
read it yourself.
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...alUser=&store=

As far as PT Native is concerned users can renew their upgrade plan for $99.- without support+bonus plugins, for $199.-
inclusive support+bonus plugins.
If one will not renew the upgrade plan by the expiration date but let it expire nevertheless will want to get on the plan later
again he will have to pay $299.- for the reentry ($99.-/$199.- thereafter again).

PT Native users may check it out at -What happens if I donīt upgrade in 2015 or let my plan expire?- it is a document provided
by a user currently using PT11 Native.
http://i.imgur.com/AZ0d3ZA.png?1

So once again.
$399.- to renew the upgrade+support plan for HD users.
$599.- for a new HD upgrade+support plan or the reentry (reentry costs not officially confirmed??)

$99.- to renew the upgrade plan without support+bonus plugins for PT Native users
$199.- to renew the upgrade plan with support+bonus plugins for PT Native users
$299.- for a new Native upgrade+support plan (incl. bonus plugins) or the reentry on a Native upgrade+support plan ($99.-/$199.-
thereafter again)

Hope this clears up things a bit.

Cheers.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:44 AM

Ok thanks.

And we'll get some sort of reminder when it needs to be renewed? Or do we just have to keep on top of it?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
According to the info provided in the Avid store it will $399.- for HD users to renew the upgrade+support plan.

This is it what it says:
1-year Annual Upgrade and Support Plan with access to all new Pro Tools releases, bonus plug-ins, and Avid ExpertPlus
support, renewable annually for $399/year.

You can double check it by going to the Avid Store, click on info at -Pro Tools | HD Annual Upgrade and Support Plan- and
read it yourself.

As far as PT Native is concerned users can renew their upgrade plan for $99.- without support+bonus plugins, for $199.-
inclusive support+bonus plugins.
If one will not renew the upgrade plan by the expiration date but let it expire nevertheless will want to get on the plan later
again he will have to pay $299.- for the reentry ($99.-/$199.- thereafter again).

PT Native users may check it out at -What happens if I donīt upgrade in 2015 or let my plan expire?- it is a document provided
by a user currently using PT11 Native.
http://i.imgur.com/AZ0d3ZA.png?1

So once again.
$399.- to renew the upgrade+support plan for HD users.
$599.- for a new HD upgrade+support plan or the reentry (reentry costs not officially confirmed??)

$99.- to renew the upgrade plan without support+bonus plugins for PT Native users
$199.- to renew the upgrade plan with support+bonus plugins for PT Native users
$299.- for a new Native upgrade+support plan (incl. bonus plugins) or the reentry on a Native upgrade+support plan ($99.-/$199.-
thereafter again)

Hope this clears up things a bit.

Cheers.
Thanks for responding VRW.
Ok, its good to know that I would actually own these and can use them in that fashion i.e. 10 on one computer, 12 on another etc. I still find it highly bogus that they will give you access to their higher end plugins only with a subscription, and then take them away. That basically tells me I can't rely and am not even interested in exploring those because I don't know how much more I'll actually be investing in this company.

Also, I know 12 gives you a lot of HD features now, however three that I find very important are copying all data to sends in the case of making a cue mix, extensive grouping features like in HD, particularly plugin grouping, and trim automation. Does 12 have these features?

Also, what comes new in 12 HD? Like, what's actually the benefit of an HD user in upgrading? I know there are a bunch of new things regarding a lot of HD/tool kit type stuff available to non HD users now, but, what does an HD user actually get out of this now?

Also (lots of alsos), so if I'm understanding this correctly, one can't subscribe to HD, but if you want to subscribe, you can do it with non HD 12, and that won't be available conveniently AFTER the cutoff point???? Am I reading this all correctly, or is there something I'm missing?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Ok thanks.

And we'll get some sort of reminder when it needs to be renewed? Or do we just have to keep on top of it?
I guess there will be a reminder. Nevertheless it will be a good idea to have it in your mind probably.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I still find it highly bogus that they will give you access to their higher end plugins only with a subscription, and then take them away.
Well, you still can buy them separately as normal plugins but they are pretty expensive. So this is no bad deal, to have all these
accessible for 1 year for $399.- only (additionally to all the upgrades+the continuos support). Check out their "real" prices there.
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...er&&store=shop
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...cs&&store=shop
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...or&&store=shop
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...ce&&store=shop
Just a few of them. Those 4 are worth over $1000.- alone.

Quote:
Also, I know 12 gives you a lot of HD features now, however three that I find very important are copying all data to sends in the case of making a cue mix, extensive grouping features like in HD, particularly plugin grouping, and trim automation. Does 12 have these features?
There you can check out the different features of HD and Native. Just scroll down a bit.
http://www.avid.com/DE/products/pro-...mparison-table

There you can see whatīs new in PT12 Native.
http://www.avidblogs.com/new-pt12-3-and-ptdock/

Quote:
Also (lots of alsos), so if I'm understanding this correctly, one can't subscribe to HD, but if you want to subscribe, you can do it with non HD 12, and that won't be available conveniently AFTER the cutoff point???? Am I reading this all correctly, or is there something I'm missing?
You can subscribe with PT12 Native already if you want to go this route.
Itīs just that this will be only the "rented" version of Pro Tools.

However you could use it to test drive PT12 Native for 1 month for example.
In the case you want to take advantage of any upgrade anyway then you have to keep in mind that it will only be possible to upgrade
until 31st Dec 2015. After 31st Dec 2015 there will be no reduced upgrades from prior versions of Pro Tools to PT12 available anymore.

Then only 2 versions of Pro Tools will be available.
1) the full, perpetual license for Pro Tools 12 Native (incl.1 year upgrades+support) for the full price of $599.-
2) the monthly or annual subscriptions for Pro Tools 12 Native

I would recommend to take advantage of the HD upgrade anyway. It still is a great piece of software (I have both 12HD and 12 Native)
and I would not want to miss my HD. For those $599.- you will receive a perpetual HD license for 12, 11 and 10 you will own for good
and 1 year of updates and upgrades (from 12 to 13), advanced support options and access to all of those Avid Pro plugins which are real
good and expensive one.

Itīs not a bad deal actually.
In a year you then may decide if you will want to keep receiving their upgrade/support/plugin package further on for $399.- or not. Your
Pro Tools HD12, HD11 and HD10 however will continue to work for good whatever you will decide to do (if during this year Pro Tools will
be upgraded to version 13 you will keep this one as well of course).

Wishing you the very best whatever route you may decide to go finally!

Cheers.