Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Firewire got asked about earlier. I believe this laptop uses the Ricoh Firewire chipset, so not a recommended TI chipset but that should not matter since you are not using any Firewire interfaces and/or or disks -- right?

You should do every last optimization to the system, do not skip anything. Especially Including disabling any power management, USB power management, screen-savers, disable blue tooth, etc.

Remove any unnecessary USB peripherals.

Make sure all Windows drivers, including the Mbox are up to date.

---

You still have not provided all the info asked for-

What are all the Setup>playback engine dialog settings? ( to start with try a buffer size of 512 and CPU set to 3 (i.e. number of physical cores-1) and 99%). Get things totally glitch free and then these can be played with.

Have you added any 3rd party plugins? (the question was not about media players it was about PT plugins) -- specifically you mention drums -- is that live tracking (recording) drums, copying iver an audio drum loop or using a drum VI? -- if the later what VI (virtual instrument) drum plugin and exact version are you using and on which disk drive are drum samples installed.

Also --

What are all the plugins instantiated in the session?

Why is there a loops DVD-ROM the drive? Drag any of that content over to your audio drive, you don't want the DVD-ROM drive accessed in any way or even mounted while Pro Tools is running.

Please confirm which drive is the boot/system drive, which drive contains the audio/session files and which drive contains any VI/plugin samples. Are there any other external drives etc that you have not mentioned?

Darryl
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Playback problems

*No fire wire in use

*ALL optimizations performed

*Drivers are up to date

*Playback is set to 512 samples CPU is set to 8 and 99%

*No third party plugins

*I am only using Expand2 to this point to create drum tracks... no actual audio recording to this point

*Sorry forgot to remove DVD-ROM during sandra report

* The (C:) HDD is used for the system boot and contains all PT software loops plugins etc. My external HDD is set to record only.

*There are no other HDD's on this system

With all of that said I do think that the main problem was the fact that I did not start with the optimizations. It was working better after I changed the CPU settings in BIOS. Though as I said I did the FULL list of optimizations and it has been working great since then. I did want to pass the rest of this info along just incase someone had more suggestions.
Again THANKS for all of the help!!!!
Rob
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Playback problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redvettefor2 View Post

*Playback is set to 512 samples CPU is set to 8 and 99%
Don't do this. 8 is too high. You only have 4 physical cores, start with this set to 3 and see how that works.

Also uncheck ignore errors if it is checked now and see if you get error codes and which ones instead of pops and clicks etc.

Darryl