Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 11:42 PM

Default AVID control with Raven Hardware

Hi

Im new to both this forum and AVID in general. I am a long time Slate Raven user (Ive owned 2xMTI2's and upgraded to 2xMTZ's) who has been looking around the AVID control surface options for years. The short of it is I wanted to use both at the same time on LPX but could not find any examples or discussions of someone successfully demonstrating that was possible. My current setup is two Slate MTZ displays connected to LPX (Ill supply all the relevant details below).

That said, I have always had issues with keeping my slate mixer strips aligned with the LPX strips (they would routinely go out of sync requiring any number of steps and distractions to get them back to where I could effectively mix again). I have held out with that distraction because the ability to do track edits using finger motions on the Slate displays is without equal in efficiency and accuracy (at least for me). I will not ever give up that ability in my workflow. If you havent tried this you really should.

So i have spent years trying to find an example of someone successfully running BOTH slate software and AVID software at the same time and finally downloaded AVID control onto my setup and tried it out. It works.

My first reaction, even on my tiny little Ipad mini running this software, made a distinct impression on me -- It was immediately clear the amount of rapid control I could get on my tracks and in a way I would never be able to get trying to work through my slate displays, even if they were staying configured correctly. Though I might need a bigger ipad.

Here is the littany of versions:

LPX: 10.4.4
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 (32 GB ram)
Raven 3.7.1 (using TB2 connections and daisy chained through an apogee symphony interface)
V control pro 2.2.23.2
EUcontrol 20.6.1.3

I opened up an LPX session and then got AVID control working and confirmed its functionality. Then I opened my raven software and got both MTZ displays up an running. I played my tracks using the raven and the meters on the control software worked as did the faders (.......size .0002 font faders compared to the raven...) and jog controls. I checked functionality through my raven batch and preset commands and they also worked.

I then used the AVID control software to call up chromaverb on one of my tracks and it opened up on my slate displays and i changed the settings on both ends (slate and control) and those changes were reflected in the other. I also tried it on an NI reflektor convo verb and it worked the same. I did plenty more but the bottom line is at least with my setup I was able to have both working at the same time without any interface faults or burps. I did have an issue with my compression not showing up on the meters but im not sure that was due to my slate displays (?)

I am suitably impressed with the options available by AVID and at least for me see a workflow that fits me perfectly -- editing with my hands and controlling with a tactile surface (albeit at a hefty price tag).

This post is intended as an answer to others on something that Ive spent a long time looking for myself. The only question I might have is confirmation that my presumption of a control surface working would hold after having confirmed it with AVID control software since they go through the same interface. Hope this helps.

cheers
E
Old 10-25-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Re: AVID control with Raven Hardware

Would love to see a video of it all in action

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 PM

Dude. how does one post a video on this here forum? is there a how to page for uploading videos? Tried a few times and cant find any how to pages (im new).

Thx
Attached Images
File Type: gif rock.gif (293 Bytes, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmusica.com View Post
Dude. how does one post a video on this here forum? is there a how to page for uploading videos? Tried a few times and cant find any how to pages (im new).

Thx
upload the video to youtube then post he link here. I would love to see this too as I'm planning to eventually get an s1+dock+1 raven (for the edit window (to edit the tracks), and plugin initialization (to click on the insert point and select the plug in but the use the s1 knob's/faders to control it))

So see the initial set up would be nice.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Thanks. Ill give that a spin.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:26 AM

The first video is starting without the Raven software running and using AVID control to run LPX. Then I call up the window to start the raven software and it initializes correctly. I use the jog commands on the raven and check a few batch commands that ive programmed and they all work. What isnt shown here but does work is using the jog commands from the AVID side with the raven SW running, which does work.

https://youtu.be/f2VpUwGYez4

The second video I already have both running. I use the control software to call up the verb plugin I have on the selected track (there is a mismatch in the names, etc which I presume I can program correctly. This is a NI reflektor convo verb plugin which is added onto LPX, e.g. a non native LPX plugin) and it shows up correctly on the slate side. I modify one of the parameters and it works. On the AVID control side the motion of the corresponding "knob" looks choppy. That is because I am using a Knob controller with the slate and that equates to mouse control which wont update the avid software side until you stop moving. I also do the reverse from the control side and it works. What I dont show here is that if I were to using my fingers on the slate display and move the delay knob in the plugin that way it would show a smooth and continuous movement on the ipad. The Knob control has become somewhat of a necessity and luxury for me on the slate displays. What Im not showing here is my left MTZ display that has my mixer on it (didnt want to have to reposition the camera so I just had the verb plugin show up on my tracks side).

https://youtu.be/V2HhRTsqzeM

hope these help. If anyone has questions Im happy to answer, although im still investigating the setup more thoroughly as i post these. A comprehensive overview of my studio setup can be found on my webpage http://guitarmusica.com/links/

cheers
E
Old 11-07-2020, 05:06 PM

Default AVID S3/Control with Raven Hardware

I acquired an Avid S3 and tested that along with my Raven MTZ's and the Avid control software on an ipad. The link to the video below shows basic functionality in multiple areas and simultaneous operation from both sides (solo, mute, track select, fader operation) plus the ability to move around the tracks with your fingers on the screen. This is quite seamless thus far. I have been turning the mixer on the Raven side off and just displaying the LPX mixer on that screen (a monitor can do the same thing). When I show the Raven mixer fader operation along with the S3 I just used the swap screens feature on the Raven (vice having to move the camera). The faders on the S3 correctly track with the automation lines I have on these tracks for this song (as expected).

https://youtu.be/1WqMK1sETsc

Cheers
E