Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2000, 08:27 PM

Default DSL Pro Tools Files

I'm thinking of sending my mixes DSL, to the dub. Does anyone have any experiences with this. Speed issues? Does the other party's DSL speed affect me. Is sending smaller packets better than one large file. Are there any compression programs that don't compromise the sound quality; at 24 bit?

Share your thoughts, please. Your input is much appreciated, in advance. Thanks
Old 02-15-2000, 09:15 PM

Default Re: DSL Pro Tools Files

Being of the old school, I'd steer clear of data compression (unless you're satisfied with MP3 quality). DSL, cable, dialup, T1 - none should affect your files, just the upload & download speed. Smaller packets reduce the risk from dropped connections, but if both parties have DSL or better I wouldn't worry.

I may have missed something - comments?
Old 02-15-2000, 09:18 PM

<Does the other party's DSL speed affect me.>

Forgot that one - No, if I understand your question. You'll do your upload, then later they'll do their download, and neither connection speed will affect the other.
Old 02-16-2000, 01:29 PM

I have DSL. Uploading is about 3x as fast (since I'm within 2-1/2 miles or whatever it is of the whatever it is you need to be near), and downloading is much faster - if the server is fast.

For example, I downloaded the complete 17 MB Netscape 4.7 installer in just over 2 minutes. Email attachments also com in quickly. But some sites are still pretty slow. Faster, but slow.
Old 02-16-2000, 09:13 PM

I've been using hotline to transfer files back and forth to a partner via DSL.
http://www.bigredh.com

It's fast and clean and works in the background without causing any problems with PT. I have it up and running and transfering stuff while still working.
Also, you can use stuffit to squish the files for transfer.