Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 AM

Default Import tracks with overlay question.

Hi,

has someone found a way to import a new reel into a super-session with overlay/match tracks without wiping all automation on all the following reels?
The only work-around I´ve found is to import the reel after the last one (using map TC to... in the import window) and then moving the elements up using alt-H. Or import to new track and move up.

It would really be great if we could add a "from to" limitation for overlay/match tracks. Or make PT recognize a selection in the timeline for the import.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Import tracks with overlay question.

Not behind my set at the moment, but you can do it by modifying the session setup of the new reel before you import. Limit the timecode range of the "to be imported session", save and import into the supersession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi,

has someone found a way to import a new reel into a super-session with overlay/match tracks without wiping all automation on all the following reels?
The only work-around I´ve found is to import the reel after the last one (using map TC to... in the import window) and then moving the elements up using alt-H. Or import to new track and move up.

It would really be great if we could add a "from to" limitation for overlay/match tracks. Or make PT recognize a selection in the timeline for the import.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM

How do you limit the TC-range of a session? Never heard of that before.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Had a look, but I think you're right, you can't... I remember finding the solution for importing reel 2 with match track without wiping automation of reel 1 etc, but that only works if you get the new reels sequentially, it still wipes whatever is after it...

So yeah, feature request....

Quote:
How do you limit the TC-range of a session? Never heard of that before.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundworx View Post
Had a look, but I think you're right, you can't. You can only change the session start time, which is the solution for importing reel 2 with match track without wiping automation of reel 1 etc, but that only works if you get the new reels sequentially, it still wipes whatever is after it...

So yeah, feature request....
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM

There is a way.

I think, though I haven't done it in a while, if you import with the last reel first you will retain the automation.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
There is a way.

I think, though I haven't done it in a while, if you import with the last reel first you will retain the automation.
Actually you can not do that. If you import the last reel first and then the second last one the automation of the last reel will be wiped.
You can only import stuff behind the last element of you time-line and then move that earlier using alt-H or cut/paste. (see original posting)

Frank.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Actually you can not do that. If you import the last reel first and then the second last one the automation of the last reel will be wiped.
You can only import stuff behind the last element of you time-line and then move that earlier using alt-H or cut/paste. (see original posting)

Frank.
Then it's the other way around. Reel one first. I've done it before with omfs.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Then it's the other way around. Reel one first. I've done it before with omfs.
Well yeah. That´s what I was saying in the first posting. You can only overlay stuff after what ever is last in your timeline because any automation after the import will be nulled.
I wish you could actually overlay reel 3 right where is belongs without wiping reels 4-6´s automation or jumping through hoops.

Frank.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Well yeah. That´s what I was saying in the first posting. You can only overlay stuff after what ever is last in your timeline because any automation after the import will be nulled.
I wish you could actually overlay reel 3 right where is belongs without wiping reels 4-6´s automation or jumping through hoops.

Frank.
Well that's just crazy talk. Why on earth would anyone want to do it that way?

)))

LEX