Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Why Do I laugh..?

Why do I laugh when I look at ads for Audio recording schools with their pictures of a big console in recording/audio magazines? I know its a waste of time and money for the most part.
Mackie ONYX 800r
Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Why Do I laugh..?

Aah, ok? Well, I missed the fun point here... Anyone care to explain? I'm feeling kinda slow here...

T
Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 AM

Why do I laugh when I stop to read posts like these with links from the poster to sites with this?: "Jet Recording is operated by Robert Weymouth. He is a graduate of UMass, Lowell with a degree in the university's highly regarded Sound Recording Technology (SRT) program."

Isnt this coming from the same 'school' of thought your criticizing, Jet?

Just pulling your card, man.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:48 AM

There's no way I would be doing as well in the industry as I am without my education from Berklee. Of course I went on scholarship so there wasn't much money on the line, but what I learned there was invaluable and would've taken me at least 3x as long to try and learn on my own.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:37 PM

:.confused:
here in latinamerica, there are people
who´ll pray for having those education centers.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM

The biggest thing I took away from one of those audio schools with their big consoles was becoming familiar with the lingo of the industry. Someone the other day was wondering why his newly recorded audio was drifting from the original audio that came from DA-88s. When I asked if he checked to make sure the TC frame rate was set the same between the 88's and PT, he had no idea what I was talking about. And if you happened to end up in a big studio with a big console to do a session, could you figure out how to get signal to tape? There is a lot of knowledge I take for granted that I learned from going to school. Of course, none of this matters if you're just sitting in your own studio and not interacting with anyone outside of your studio.

However, I did not learn how to be a good engineer from going to school- you can only learn that from working on projects with other people.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The biggest thing I took away from one of those audio schools with their big consoles was becoming familiar with the lingo of the industry. Someone the other day was wondering why his newly recorded audio was drifting from the original audio that came from DA-88s. When I asked if he checked to make sure the TC frame rate was set the same between the 88's and PT, he had no idea what I was talking about. And if you happened to end up in a big studio with a big console to do a session, could you figure out how to get signal to tape? There is a lot of knowledge I take for granted that I learned from going to school. Of course, none of this matters if you're just sitting in your own studio and not interacting with anyone outside of your studio.

However, I did not learn how to be a good engineer from going to school- you can only learn that from working on projects with other people.
I agree totally.

And you know what makes me laugh... People who have to resort to putting down other people and their institutions to pump themselves up.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you went to the same school I did!
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-15-2005, 01:21 AM

Hey Jet Recording. I usually just laugh when I see the price tag of said instituitions. Full Sail for instance. There is a lot to be said for formal instruction though. Nobody can take it away from you but it would be nice if it guaranteed employment post facto.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:01 AM

Shana bit, you are right. I'm glad I got my bachelors degree from a college and it was cool that the college offered an audio recording degree. However..

Point 1: At first, It's not what you know, It's who you know. Every opportunity I have had this statement rings true. Of course they connections knew that I went to school but I still don't think it made a difference to those people.

Point 2: I spent 90% of my recording classes in the back reading EQ, Mix, Recording, and any other audio magizine that I found interesting. (Mix being the least informative). The other 10% must have been in the "studio" classes where there were no magazines around. (there's only so many times I can listen to an instructer talk about how a console is set up, how compression works and is used, Eq, reverb, aux snds, buses, master fader, mic pre and importance of a good one, sound field, stereo imagining, masking, proper mic placement, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,)
Mackie ONYX 800r