Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
filete1,

Do you simply plugin the controller and turn it down all the way?
Yes,
That should give you around 1400 rpm at minimum setting!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 AM

filete1

Thanks. Gotta love the DUC and all involved.
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM

So is there any difference in performance concerning K8V 754 mobo and chip and the A8V 939 mobo and Processor?

There isn't much in it price wise but everyone in here seems to be rocking the 754 mobo's, whats with that?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM

The 939 is the chip of the future, so if you want to be able upgrade your processor in 2 year without having to buy a new motherboard, this is the one to get. On the other hand, I have been trying for a week to get my 001 working with my brand new Asus A8V-E deluxe, and still no luck(see my threads). At this point, I do not reccommend this motherboard.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:14 PM

I just put together this new box and it totally rocks. And I am very happy with it so far. I got a Davec of 32+20 and that's good enough for me. All stock no real tweaks. You can see my setup below. So don't count the 939 pins out yet.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 AM

I just ordered the Allenstein system to the T, other than the video card since it seems to be out of stock everywhere. It should be here tomorrow and I'm really excited as the last system I had would constantly freeze up on me. I was weary to spend so much money, (cause I don't have it first of all, and I don't want to hear it from my wife), but I figured I might as well get the best if I'm going to start from scratch.

I would personally like to thank Allen and all the others who have been actively helping out on this board. I see that Allen has been extremely helpful and has spent a lot of time answering others. Is there a way that I can donate? His knowledge and help is definately worth supporting if I can in anyway.

Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 PM

double post, first post deleted
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 PM

I've had some problems with PTLE 6.4 lately, and I talked with Digi customer service yesterday, and I found out I'm using an unsupported chipset. I've got a VIA chipset, and I was told I need an Intel chipset.

I've got an intel Pentium 4 processor, 2.66 GHz in there now. As far as the other components, they are:

Kingston Ram 2 x 512 MB
Three hard drives - 40, 60, 80. They are seagate, maxtor, and western digital.
Thermaltake spark7+ variable speed heat sink
Adaptec firewire card

I can't remember the rest right now, and I'm on the end of almost a 24 hour workday, but I just wanted to get this post out before I crash, in the hopes that someone responds before I wake up.

My main question is, do unsupported chipsets truly cause serious problems (in my case, very strange problems)? I don't want to sink more money into my pro tools system, my 002r failed on me a few weeks ago (i bought a replacement from digi).

Can I just replace the chipset, leaving the rest of the components, and hopefully have a Pro Tools system that works? Not to get in to the problem in detail, but basically this is the last thing the Digi customer service representative and I could point to as a problem.

Replacing the chipset basically just means replacing the motherboard, correct? I've spent a lot of money on the other parts, and I'd love to keep using them to cut costs.

Thanks for any help - I will provide more thorough details tomorrow after I get some much needed sleep.

Sincerely,

John
Old 04-13-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I've had some problems with PTLE 6.4 lately, and I talked with Digi customer service yesterday, and I found out I'm using an unsupported chipset. I've got a VIA chipset, and I was told I need an Intel chipset.

I've got an intel Pentium 4 processor, 2.66 GHz in there now. As far as the other components, they are:

Kingston Ram 2 x 512 MB
Three hard drives - 40, 60, 80. They are seagate, maxtor, and western digital.
Thermaltake spark7+ variable speed heat sink
Adaptec firewire card

I can't remember the rest right now, and I'm on the end of almost a 24 hour workday, but I just wanted to get this post out before I crash, in the hopes that someone responds before I wake up.

My main question is, do unsupported chipsets truly cause serious problems (in my case, very strange problems)? I don't want to sink more money into my pro tools system, my 002r failed on me a few weeks ago (i bought a replacement from digi).

Can I just replace the chipset, leaving the rest of the components, and hopefully have a Pro Tools system that works? Not to get in to the problem in detail, but basically this is the last thing the Digi customer service representative and I could point to as a problem.

Replacing the chipset basically just means replacing the motherboard, correct? I've spent a lot of money on the other parts, and I'd love to keep using them to cut costs.

Thanks for any help - I will provide more thorough details tomorrow after I get some much needed sleep.

Sincerely,

John
John you need to find out the chipset info and post a seperate thread for this. Changing chipsets is just changing the motherboard. For P4 it is usually best to stick with the recommended Intel chipsets. Asus P4P is a populare board here.

Allen
Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I just ordered the Allenstein system to the T, other than the video card since it seems to be out of stock everywhere. It should be here tomorrow and I'm really excited as the last system I had would constantly freeze up on me. I was weary to spend so much money, (cause I don't have it first of all, and I don't want to hear it from my wife), but I figured I might as well get the best if I'm going to start from scratch.

I would personally like to thank Allen and all the others who have been actively helping out on this board. I see that Allen has been extremely helpful and has spent a lot of time answering others. Is there a way that I can donate? His knowledge and help is definately worth supporting if I can in anyway.

Thanks again!
I set up a paypal account for donations using [email protected]
I'm glad you got a rocking system. Enjoy it.

Allen