Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2023, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Clip FX GUI not responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tope d View Post
To everyone still having this issue, can you please reply with the following info?

-screen resolution
-high DPI settings
-graphics card
-external monitor setup

Thank you!
-Tope
screen resolution..............1920 x 1080
high DPI settings..............100% (untouched)
graphics card....................i9 13900k processor graphics
external monitor setup ......2 monitors

Come to think of it I have weird graphics glitches from time to time (only in PT), which never happened before on this exact same rig. All this started not too long ago, after using the same setup for maybe 6 months or so. I haven't upgraded from 2022.12 Studio.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:46 AM

Lately the bug seems to appear only when I use the edit window in full screen. If I restore the edit window, the bug is gone.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:49 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianofdr View Post
Lately the bug seems to appear only when I use the edit window in full screen. If I restore the edit window, the bug is gone.
Hi there... can you provide your specifications please so I can have the techs look at this one fr you....

Thanks for the post though as that might be a part of the solution....

marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 07-14-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi there... can you provide your specifications please so I can have the techs look at this one fr you....

marianna
Hey Marianna, it's good to have you here. You're giving Avid a human face... and that can only be good.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianofdr View Post
Interesting...

I've tried a few things now and some progress I think. If I minimise the clipFX window and then restore it, the GUI is updated to reflect blind changes done before, but it stays frozen thereafter (until it is minimised and opened again).

I run all my PT windows not full screen. However, if I change the edit window to be full screen, then the ClipFX bug has gone seemingly for lifetime of the open session. Fortunately I can then immediately change back to not full screen, and the bug stays gone. So this is the best workaround I've found to date - thank you!

I don't yet know if the CPU spikes come and go with it, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they do. Not had any glitches on my session that I've kept open while typing the post, and I usually get red spikes every minute or so otherwise.

So I'm pretty confident in saying that the ClipFX bug at least is related to window management. That also ties in with my observation that my windows tend to be opened scrambled these days - something screwy going on. Incidentally, support asked me to check the session with all plugins disabled, and no change there, so that's another thing to rule out.

Open question to all who have the issue - do you run multiple monitor setups? I have four.

EDIT - bonus thought that this is also somehow related to the Windows installer / uninstaller which doesn't clean things up properly, which is why it is not a universal problem.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 07-15-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post

marianna

Hey Marianna,

I'm running Pro Tools 2023.6 in Windows 11 Home, i9-12900H, 2TB SSD, 32 GB RAM.

Thank you for being here to help us

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Interesting...

I've tried a few things now and some progress I think. If I minimise the clipFX window and then restore it, the GUI is updated to reflect blind changes done before, but it stays frozen thereafter (until it is minimised and opened again).

I run all my PT windows not full screen. However, if I change the edit window to be full screen, then the ClipFX bug has gone seemingly for lifetime of the open session. Fortunately I can then immediately change back to not full screen, and the bug stays gone. So this is the best workaround I've found to date - thank you!

I don't yet know if the CPU spikes come and go with it, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they do. Not had any glitches on my session that I've kept open while typing the post, and I usually get red spikes every minute or so otherwise.

So I'm pretty confident in saying that the ClipFX bug at least is related to window management. That also ties in with my observation that my windows tend to be opened scrambled these days - something screwy going on. Incidentally, support asked me to check the session with all plugins disabled, and no change there, so that's another thing to rule out.

Open question to all who have the issue - do you run multiple monitor setups? I have four.

EDIT - bonus thought that this is also somehow related to the Windows installer / uninstaller which doesn't clean things up properly, which is why it is not a universal problem.
I'm glad it helped! I can also change the window back and the bug stays gone, so I agree that the bug must be related to the window management.

I'm only running one monitor at the moment.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I always clean up manually, but I've still experienced the bug. Just curious: how do you use your four monitors, and is there any reason why you don't run them full screen?
Old 07-16-2023, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I always clean up manually, but I've still experienced the bug. Just curious: how do you use your four monitors, and is there any reason why you don't run them full screen?
On clean up - is there a guide somewhere with every single location in Windows that PT uses? I know I couldn't roll back until I'd deleted the c/Program Files/Avid/Pro Tools folder - it thew up licensing errors until then. Maybe it's all unrelated to this licensing weirdness.

So my monitor arrangement is 3 across the front, 1 behind for video and meters. I run PT in the centre and right monitors, with the edit window in the centre except the file list which goes over into the right hand one. I like it that way as it gives full width to the timeline.

To be clear, that workaround above works fine without full screen, I just need to full-screen it first then un-full-screen it.

EDIT - does the bug disappear for you if you change the full-screen status and back again?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-16-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
On clean up - is there a guide somewhere with every single location in Windows that PT uses?
I use guitardom's guide, and that clears everything with the exception of the Dark mode settings. But I'm happy with that because it took me a very long time to set it up the way I want it, which is a hybrid between Classic and Dark.

Thanks for the explanation about your screens.

Quote:
EDIT - does the bug disappear for you if you change the full-screen status and back again?
Honestly, I haven't had any problems with the bug for more than two weeks. Maybe it disappeared when I toggled HEAT off and back on, but I can't be absolutely certain. I had it once when I created a new session but it disappeared when I trashed prefs, and hasn't appeared since then, not even when I create new sessions. All my current sessions have been bug-free for quite a while. I can't say if changing screen status clears the bug on my system.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier I haven't been able to test that because I don't have the bug currently. However, when I did have the bug, my screens would once in a while flicker intensely (strobe-like) for about 3 seconds and then stop. Sometimes this would shut PT down, and I would have to restart.

I didn't at all relate it with the clip FX bug because we didn't have the information we do now. I checked for viruses and Windows file corruption, but I was clean. This only happened in PT and nowhere else.

I can now say quite confidently (but cautiously, knowing the nature of what we're dealing with) that I no longer have the bug. The strobe thing has also gone. What I do have is that certain mouse clicks will cause my screens to 'flinch' if you will. No flickering... just a flinch that doesn't interrupt my workflow. Now that we know the clip FX bug is connected in some way to graphics, I'm still interested in getting to the bottom of this.

BTW, two plugin providers (for Steven Slate Drums 5 and Apogee Clearmountain Spaces) have still not reset their redundant iLok licenses on one unused computer, if that possibly has any bearing on this.

Guy, if you're still here: How far have you gone with Avid Support?