Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Do you like PT 6 interface ?

Having worked in PT 5.x all the time, I installed 6.1 to try how it works. Many technical issues have been discussed here - but I would be interested to know: do you like the new interface ? As for me - it is not pleasant for me at all. For example there is a big waste of space: I/O, send, insert columns occupy almost double space than in v.5 (without any special advantage) - and thus diminish the real working space a lot (to switch them on and off is not really comfortable). Generally for me PT 6 screen has much less esthetics, purity and eye pleasing forms than v. 5, it seems to be overloaded by tons of unnecesary graphic changes. When I restarted to OS 9 and opened PT 5, it was so nice and pleasant. PT 6 does not bring too much more functionality (apart from working under OSX) and thus it seems that there was a big effort to change at least the buttons, numbers, displays etc. to create an illusion of change. This kind of effort can often lead to very rigid, artificial results - just a change for a change. As for me - I am disappointed and do not much appreciate how PT 6 looks like
Old 07-24-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Do you like PT 6 interface ?

I like it but I do have a lot of screen real estate to use.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:11 PM

Quote:
PT 6 does not bring too much more functionality (apart from working under OSX) and thus it seems that there was a big effort to change at least the buttons, numbers, displays etc. to create an illusion of change.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you even checked out Dgibase? What about being able to create fades and plugins on the fly? What about LE now supporting pro keyboard shortcuts? There are many more subtle changes, but they're very useful and very functional. If PT 6 brought about massive change people would be screaming over it. And if they introduce subtle change, it's an illusion.

Can't please everyone.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:31 PM

I will try to get used to it. As a small token of apprecciation PT 6.1 has just "unexpectedly quit" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 03:38 PM

i like the new interface... it just looks updated and fits OSX much better...

but I wish they would have incorporated the all the transport functions to the empty space at the top right of the mix window... or at least most of them.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:23 PM

I like it too.
Reason integration, scroll wheel function and pro keyboard shortcuts alone are worth it IMHO.
The only negative for me would be the screen redraws during a busy session but that is simply a limitation of my ageing G4/400 and doesn't affect the audio/midi performance.
When I first started using PT6, I didn't notice much change (apart from the new look) but each time I use it I discover some new feature that makes me say, "Thank you, Digi".
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 07:36 PM

Hey Doc, do you have your monitor set to "thousands" not "millions"? That helped alot for me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 08:22 PM

Yep. Made a big difference here too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GORILLA:
Hey Doc, do you have your monitor set to "thousands" not "millions"? That helped alot for me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In which way did it help ??
Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

The only negative for me would be the screen redraws during a busy session but that is simply a limitation of my ageing G4/400 and doesn't affect the audio/midi performance.
When I first started using PT6, I didn't notice much change (apart from the new look) but each time I use it I discover some new feature that makes me say, "Thank you, Digi".
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah- i've got the same machine, Doc... I spent the whole last week working in 6.1 until my sessions got big enough that I needed to go back to 5.x (also, I don't have all my OSX plugs either), and I didn't like going back!

I need to try switching my monitor colors... that never helped much in OS9, but I'm glad to hear it's helping some of you in OSX.