Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Default Converting SD2 files to wav on mac

I know this has been covered many times before, but I'm in the middle of transferring lots of old files from CD-r to HD, and I found that I had to research quite alot to find a useful solution to my situation. So I thought I'd post it in case someone else found themselves in a situation similar to mine.
I have a couple of hundred CDs from up to twenty years back and older, containing lots of PT session files and bounced SD2 files. The session files are ok, I have PT10 so I can open them up and convert the audio files folder to wavs. But the bounced finished tracks in SD2 format is not so easy, I found.
Had I been on Windows, there's a small app by JohnRailRogut called SD2wav or similar that does the job. But I did not manage to find a mac app that does this. I searched, and tried Logic and Audition whithout success. Quicktime can open the SD2s, but you can only save them as .movs and you lose data.
Then, thanks to a tip by a fellow on applesupportcommunities (which I never liked because of alot of people giving the impression of helping, when they're just copy/pasting stuff and not really helping), I found my answer:
Itunes.
Two Finder windows open, one with the SD2 files and one that shows HD/Usr/Library/AppSupp/iTunes/Music, and iTunes showing an empty playlist. Drag SD2 files to the iTunes window (You should have the copy-files-on-import option disabled in prefs), Select Convert-to-wav from the File menu, and very quickly the converted wav-files shows up in the itunes library folder in Finder. Drag them to the other window, delete the from the itunes playlist, and so on.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Converting SD2 files to wav on mac

Batch convert app Amadeus
Or in Pro Tools 10 convert and import the mixes.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Batch convert app Amadeus
Or in Pro Tools 10 convert and import the mixes.
Thanks. Amadeus looks like a fine piece of software. But, you need the pro version to get batch processing, and it's 60 US dollars. ITunes is free, and with the method I described, I converted, I don't know, maybe a couple of hundred files yesterday. Took a while, but that had mostly to do with navigating folders. If they were all in the same directory, it'd be done in a few minutes. (Using PT10 would take forever.)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Thanks. Amadeus looks like a fine piece of software. But, you need the pro version to get batch processing, and it's 60 US dollars. ITunes is free, and with the method I described, I converted, I don't know, maybe a couple of hundred files yesterday. Took a while, but that had mostly to do with navigating folders. If they were all in the same directory, it'd be done in a few minutes. (Using PT10 would take forever.)
Create a playlist in itunes and do it from there.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Create a playlist in itunes and do it from there.
Exactly. That's what I did. What do you mean?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:32 AM

See my post here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=convert
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Exactly. That's what I did. What do you mean?
Sorry, just saw this.

This was to save time to avoid having to navigating folders.
From the finder, you can do a search (from the root directory for where all these files are) for sd2 type files, then you can just select all from the search window and drag to a playlist in itunes (assuming you don't have one of those itunes "copy" preferences turned on). Then you have all your sd2 files in one playlist and can do the conversion.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, just saw this.
This was to save time to avoid having to navigating folders.
From the finder, you can do a search (from the root directory for where all these files are) for sd2 type files, then you can just select all from the search window and drag to a playlist in itunes (assuming you don't have one of those itunes "copy" preferences turned on). Then you have all your sd2 files in one playlist and can do the conversion.
Thanks. But in my case, I had a large archive of folders and subfolders, sessions and SDII bounces, that I wanted to keep intact, and just convert the bounced files, hence the time consuming navigating of folders.

Quote from the other thread you referenced, DJ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
I know this is an old thread, but PT12 can do this. I just converted a bunch of old files to stereo and then bounced them to mp3 for an archive on my Mac and PT 2019.6:
1. Get info on the files, make sure Pro Tools is designated in Open With
2. Open your session, make sure clip list is viewed.
3. With PT and the File Folder open, double click on the .L file
4. Then, double click on the .R file
5. This will create a stereo file in the Clip List.
Worked perfectly!
-dj
That's great. But not really applicable to my situation. And I have a working PT10 setup to convert my sessions to wav when I want. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks. But in my case, I had a large archive of folders and subfolders, sessions and SDII bounces, that I wanted to keep intact, and just convert the bounced files, hence the time consuming navigating of folders.
The files stay intact and where they are. Just so you know. It just references the location within the directory trees.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The files stay intact and where they are. Just so you know. It just references the location within the directory trees.
Ah. I see. Then, that's very clever. Thanks. I guess I'd still have to navigate if I wanted to get rid of the old SDIIs, though.

Edit: Duh. I could use the file type search for that too, right?
Edit 2: Still, all the SDII files in the audio files folders would also show up...