Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Waves MPX Master tape

Hi,

Going to try this later!

free for mercury owners or introductory price $149 TDM / $99 Native

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11702

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Waves MPX Master tape

Looks interesting. I can't try it since my studio is being rebuilt so I'd be interested to see what you think.

Nice that they're still doing TDM versions proving there's life in the old dog yet!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Just saw this as well. Will try myself tomorrow. Did a quick google search after receiving an e-mail from them and so far, it seems people have been almost raving about this plug...comparing it to how good their CLA and SSL emulation stuff is.

If it's even halfway decent, that intro price coming from Waves is almost a steal.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Looks interesting. I can't try it since my studio is being rebuilt so I'd be interested to see what you think.

Nice that they're still doing TDM versions proving there's life in the old dog yet!
Apparently, one stereo instance of the plugin takes up a whole dsp chip on the Accel card so you won't be able to run very many instances unless you have an HD3 or higher. By comparison, HEAT and Phoenix are a lot more dsp efficient than that. I wonder how the MPX will compare to them sound wise?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
Apparently, one stereo instance of the plugin takes up a whole dsp chip on the Accel card so you won't be able to run very many instances unless you have an HD3 or higher. By comparison, HEAT and Phoenix are a lot more dsp efficient than that. I wonder how the MPX will compare to them sound wise?
Waves put out a white paper on the MPX plug-in. Worth a read. They've modeled the electronics of the machine as well as the characteristics of the tape and you can control levels going into the machine separately from the level going to the tape. Wow/Flutter control. Two tape speeds. Seems quite a bit deeper than the other tape emulations out there. But yeah, we take a hit on CPU power. Full Accel chip for a stereo instance vs. 6% of a chip with Massey TapeHead. More appropriate for throwing across a bus probably. They say this is the culmination of their attempt to recreate the entire signal path of Olympic Studios -- Kramer Helios channel, Kramer PIE compressor to MPX tape. Maybe at some point we could see a light version that would be efficient enough to throw on every channel.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post

Hi,

Had a quick play on the overall mix! I need some more time before i start using it, but so far i like what it does. I think i'll get more mileage from it on individual tracks to be honest, but i need more time to get to know it.

The delay is actually really nice! i might start to use that a bit on mixes.

Made a quick video to give a bit of an idea. unfortunately the quality got a bit lost with the upload ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqbjXvQgEQ

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM

I really like the way MXP sounds. My favorite part of Heat is the console emu, and MXP compliments that perfectly. I haven't seen it take a full chip...

I have replaced my master fader LinEQ with MPX. I wanted to start using a comp again on my master fader, but this has given me a far better alternative.

Other tape simulation plugs kill the transients. I hear my transients nice and sharp through MPX.

Waves: I love you, I hate you, I love you again!

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the video Chris.

This is a no brainer given the price.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Seems not available the stereo version.. I found only in RTAS stereo or TDM multimono/RTAS multimono, of course.
But i like it very much!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtamstudio View Post
Seems not available the stereo version.. I found only in RTAS stereo or TDM multimono/RTAS multimono, of course.
But i like it very much!
Comes up at stereo TDM or RTAS for me......
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.