Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Using a LAPTOP with Pro Tools 7.4

Hello, I am in the process of setting up my little at home studio, but I'm starting to see some issues and I'm wondering if for some reason, my laptop is the problem. Is anyone out there having success with a laptop and Pro Tools? I am recording my PT files to an external USB drive, and I am using BFD2 which is on an external USB HD, but I keep using all these USB ports, instead of a PCI card for a desktop. Could it be that laptops just can't handle as much as a standard desktop PC?

I have 2 gigs of RAM, M-Audio Mobile Preamp, Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, external USB HDs at 7200 RPM.

I'm just experiencing CPU overload in PT when I don't have that many tracks going, BFD latency with edrum kit, etc.

So I'm just wondering, could my laptop be a weak spot or should I look elsewhere to solve my problems?

Thanks!

don
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Using a LAPTOP with Pro Tools 7.4

Quote:
Hello, I am in the process of setting up my little at home studio, but I'm starting to see some issues and I'm wondering if for some reason, my laptop is the problem. Is anyone out there having success with a laptop and Pro Tools? I am recording my PT files to an external USB drive, and I am using BFD2 which is on an external USB HD, but I keep using all these USB ports, instead of a PCI card for a desktop. Could it be that laptops just can't handle as much as a standard desktop PC?

I have 2 gigs of RAM, M-Audio Mobile Preamp, Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, external USB HDs at 7200 RPM.

I'm just experiencing CPU overload in PT when I don't have that many tracks going, BFD latency with edrum kit, etc.

So I'm just wondering, could my laptop be a weak spot or should I look elsewhere to solve my problems?

Thanks!

don
First thing that people will point out is that USB drives are not recommended in any way. You probably want to use a firewire drive that has a certified Oxford chipset and if you don't have a fw port then add one by getting an expansion card.

Does BFD2 use disk streaming? If those samples are trying to play from a USB drive, I would say you haven't got a chance at low latency. If they are loading in RAM then you may just need to lower your buffer settings to reduce latency. Of course, lowering buffer won't help if you are getting the cpu overload errors.

It might help to know what OS you are on. Do you have the latest M-Audio drivers?

One thing to try is to ditch the external HDs and try recording/mixing from a session on the internal drive. This might tell you whether the external drive is causing the issue. You don't want to do this as a long term solution though, since recording on the internal drive isn't a good idea in general.

J
Old 02-01-2008, 12:27 PM

What kind of processor?
I use USB drives all the time, no problem at all.
I had nothign but problems trying to use the firewire port on my Dell, and sent it back, and bought an HP NC8430.
Zero problems, works great.

IMDB Credits
Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM

BFD is the most power hungry plugin that has ever been made. My mate with a G5 struggles with it.

Firewire is recommended, but it's not going to solve the BFD problem.

Your options are buy a faster laptop, which probably means MAC

or

Forget BFD and use EZDrummer which is very similar or maybe Addictive drums.

I can run 3 instances of easy drummer (2x latin perc and 1x Vintage kit) easily with other things going as well, on a

Dell Inspiron 6000,
1.73Ghz Intel,
2GB Ram, Win XP Home SP2,
EX Firewire or USB 7,200 Drive,
Mbox2 or Jamlab.

I also have a dual 1.3Ghz (2MB L3 Cache) G4 and can barely run BFD on that.

Seriously, I think that the idea of BFD is great but practically speaking - it's impractical.

Change your RTAS Drum synth and you will have solved your problem.

I've actually had this out with FXpansion 18 months ago and the came back with a crock of ****.

Anyway, this isn't advice, it's a fact. BFD is the most draining RTAS plugin on the face of the earth as we speak. We will need 10Ghz processors in laptops before we can even think about using it.

CPU has nothing to do with Streaming Disk stuff.

Hope that helps you see the light

JazzyJ