Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 AM

Default Re: OWC dock data transfer rate

Thank you again for these explanations, it makes me understand a lot of things..!

One thing I didn’t tell you, I used to have a SSD until one year ago, but I changed it for a HDD. It was a Crucial 1To enclosed in a basic rack, plugged in a USB port but I started to have problems (many bugs with PT), in particular sometimes it was not detected by the computer even after reboot. I couldn’t work properly and effectively. I thought it was a drive failure but actually not…

So I decided to replace it with a HDD. Now it bugs far less but samples load much slowly. And I have strange phenomenas with USB devices (for instance my Maschine Mikro from Native Instrument doesn’t work… it’s recognized, light turn on but it looks like it’s ‘locked’, as if there was not enough power though my hub (Lindy) has an external power supply - tried many things, contacted Native Instruments support but no solution at the moment). Hence my doubts about my USB configuration.
I even used to have two usb HUB recently (4 output each) but I removed one because of those issues (didn’t change a lot).

That’s why I’d like to go back to SSD but through Thunderbolt port. Thanks to your help I can see now what’s possible and what’s the best for me.
I’ll try again via USB port as you suggested but I want to be sure I can go to Thunderbolt if necessary. I guess I’ll give up the PCIe box solution as the fan may be really disturbing…

There’s just one thing I don’t get yet (related to my precedent ‘weird’ question) : Is it possible to plug a Samsung T5 in a Mac Pro thunderbolt port via the USBC to thunderbolt2 adaptor ? (the one linked in my precedent message)
In the Apple description it looks like it’s possible. I know that the data transfer would be reduced to SATA but it would equivalent to USB port…
Otherwise you suggested me a thunderbolt2 to USB3 hub/dock that’s it ?

Some precision following your advices on my system settings :

My displays are VGA plugged, the resolution is 1920x1080 for each. I have 32 Go RAM, and the cache size in the PT playback engine is set to ‘normal’.

Most of the settings you recommended were already done, now I’ll have to look at the Kontakt optimization page..

Thank you
Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
There’s just one thing I don’t get yet (related to my precedent ‘weird’ question) : Is it possible to plug a Samsung T5 in a Mac Pro thunderbolt port via the USBC to thunderbolt2 adaptor ? (the one linked in my precedent message)
In the Apple description it looks like it’s possible. I know that the data transfer would be reduced to SATA but it would equivalent to USB port…
Otherwise you suggested me a thunderbolt2 to USB3 hub/dock that’s it ?
I alluded to this before but the USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter is not what I think you think it is. It's a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt (1 or 2, they both use the same physical links) adapter. It does not deal with USB anything. USB-C is just the connector that Thunderbolt 3 uses, it does not mean it's doing USB (aka USB, USB 2, USB3, USB 3.1 Gen blah... none of that is dealt with by that adapter).

You can hang USB peripherals off Thunderbolt, but Apple does not make an adapter that does that, one way to do that is to purchase a Thunderbolt dock that has USB ports on it. Typically they'll go up USB 3/3.1 Gen 1. This would be my recommendation but OWC are sold out of that as well: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thun...nderbolt2-Dock. (I have two of their TB3 versions of that dock). You should be able to hang a couple of SSDs like a Samsung T5 off that and get better scaling than you can with the OWC SATA dock you were asking about at the start of this thread.

There is a lot going in on your system. I suspect simplifying stuff will help, including unplug all peripherals you can (USB and TB), run through troubleshooting again, try putting a usable subset of samples on one T5 or large internal drive etc. and see if you can get things stable, look at that VI streaming/optimization etc. If you do get an upgraded internal drive I'd be tempted to do a full clean reinstall of everything on that drive and check stuff as you go. Keep those performance meters visible and see if you habe a memory problem/leak.

(BTW disk cache set to normal means the fancy cache with pre-load etc. is disabled... which if you are under memory pressure from VIs may be the best setting, if you are not then I'd be setting it to something, starting at a few GB, or gestimate from the size of the session audio on disk).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-20-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:59 AM

OK, I got it now. I'm going to think about all this, I'll let you know if things get better.
Thanks a lot again for your help!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:18 AM

A much used option amongst composers using Kontakt is the Black Magic Multidock. It certainly works VERY well here with polyphony counts in the thousands and there are plenty of modern libraries pushing the boundaries!

Each drive bay is limited to read rate of 384Mb per second (or something close to that) but if you RAID SSDs in pairs you get well over 700Mb per second. You can RAID up to four drives but I found the sweet spot of transfer rate vs. drive access time using them in pairs. They just work.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 AM

Thank you Marsdy, it's a little bit too expensive for me...