Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 01-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Duet (by Apogee) now keeps losing connectivity on Sierra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh_Chi View Post
Apogee created a standalone sku to Avid that would work on both PC and Mac, and delegated all support back to Avid for the unit. Using anything from Apogee for this isn't really an option.
After the Avid/Apogee relationship terminated, Apogee "put out" a single Duet that is Mac/Windows/iOS compatible; there are no longer different flavours. You might want to go to Apogee's site and try their software drivers/support with your Avid branded one. Apogee (now officially) support Windows.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
After the Avid/Apogee relationship terminated, Apogee "put out" a single Duet that is Mac/Windows/iOS compatible; there are no longer different flavours. You might want to go to Apogee's site and try their software drivers/support with your Avid branded one. Apogee (now officially) support Windows.
That's different to what Apogee told me when I reachout to them... they maintained they're still two separate skus and that using any Apogee software with them wasn't advisable.

Is that something you've done then?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
That's different to what Apogee told me when I reachout to them... they maintained they're still two separate skus and that using any Apogee software with them wasn't advisable.

Is that something you've done then?
No. I never took the plunge into the Avid branded Duet/Quartet. But the software will either work or not. The hardware is now the same for the current Duet (it wasn't then.)

At worst, you put the Avid drivers back. At the end of the day it is CoreAudio/ASIO access that would be the same for both. Apogee would have to go out of their way to firmware lock the two different pieces of hardware (and once again, worst possible scenario is the Apogee software won't recognize your device and you uninstall)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Will wait until all other avenues are exhausted first though.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

I have similar issues with my Eleven Rack disconnecting or not connecting (always have i.e. through lots of OSX versions - now High Sierra) so I often end up using the headphone output of my iMac.

However, this doesn’t drive my 250ohm DT770s very well and I’ve recently ordered a pair of HD650s which are 300ohm+ (actually the Massdrop version - anybody else getting these?)

So, I was looking at the Apogee Groove DAC/headphone amp earlier today but also came across the Pro Tools Duet at a relatively low price (compared to the Apogee-branded Duet) including 1 year of PT subscription (that I’ve just renewed but I assume I could use this to extend later) ... thus came across this thread.

My understanding is that the Apogee model didn’t previously support Windows but did support iOS, and the Avid model supports Mac and Windows only ... and the new Apogee version now covers all three ... but this thread suggests that I could end up with the same connectivity issues with the Avid Duet as with the Eleven Rack?! And if they didn’t sell well, as Darryl suggests, who knows if Avid will support future OSX versions - any chance of getting Apogee firmware on these or is the hardware different internally too? Do these issues reflect issues with Avid drivers i.e. do users of non-Avid interfaces enjoy reliable connections to their computers?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:58 PM

What sort of connectivity issues were you getting?

Mine seems to relate to having the Duet plugged into a USB hub. If I directly connect to the Macbook it seems to work fine.

I haven't chanced using the Apogee driver yet tbh. I just have to unplug / plug my Duet back in every few reboots... which is a crappy workaround.

But Avid have washed their hands of the problem by closing the case. Disappointing really, and I doubt I'll renew my subscription when it comes up again.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 PM

... often not appearing as available on my Mac e.g. system preferences, even after rebooting both iMac and Eleven Rack - no hub.

I wonder if the Avid Duet is actually identical to the Apogee version? Does it work with Core Audio (with Pro Tools) on a Mac or dedicated driver, like Eleven Rack?

When yours loses connectivity, does this affect just Pro Tools or does it continue to work e.g. with iTunes?

If Apogee USB interfaces that use Core Audio continue to work after OSX upgrades without firmware updates, I guess the Avid model should work even if no longer supported by Avid in future ... and if it is identical, there should be no reason for this to suffer from connectivity issues any more than the standard Apogee Duet 2?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM

I get exactly the same behaviour. It's plugged in fine but nothing on the Mac can see it (System Preferences, DAWs etc). Every other peripheral using the hubs I use work fine with no issue...

For transparency, here's what they Apogee advised:

Quote:
In short, Avid contracted us to make a version of our Duet and Quartet for them that would work on Mac and PC's. This was unique at the time since these units only worked on Apple devices.

- You have to use software and firmware from Avid's website on these units. This is because of physical differences in the circuitry to make the Avid units compatible with Windows.
- This means you cannot use the Apogee software & firmware on the Avid units and vice versa. Avid & Apogee units are separate.
- I do not know when Avid last updated their software/drivers.
- Support is provided by Avid. The only time Apogee is involved is if there's a hardware repair required.
However, it does seem from other responses that a version of the Duet has been released that works across other platforms too. If I get to the stage where I'm about to move to another product / the workaround proves too cumbersome I'll look at flashing using the Apogee files instead.

I'm not sure exactly why the Duet isn't working, and it's pretty disappointing that Avid aren't willing to investigate further, but I'll leave it to you to decide which vendor you want to purchase from in future.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
However, it does seem from other responses that a version of the Duet has been released that works across other platforms too. .
AFAIK Apogee just released firmware for the Duet and Quartet to work with windows. Not a new hardware version.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Try a new hub, see if maybe it is faulty?

Im crazy enough to try the new Apogee firmware, and software, as Avid dropped any further support.