Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 AM

Question Can exported audio include a marker position as metadata?

Hello all,

I have searched the forum for this, and suspect that the answer is "no". However, I thought it worth asking in case there is a workaround or recent solution that I'm missing.

The question is:

Is there any way to export audio from Pro Tools (preferably as an exported clip, rather than a realtime bounce) so that it includes information about a specific, sample-accurate location within that audio file, which can be read by other applications?

Just to be clear, I'm not asking about using BWF to save the starting location of the audio file; I want to save a location in the file.

So for example I would then open the file in Sound Forge, and the saved location would appear as a marker or region. (It doesn't really matter how it's interpreted, just so long as it shows up in some form.)

Unfortunately, any methods that involve exporting and importing marker lists in some other file format won't suit my workflow - I need specifically to save the location in the audio file itself.

Is it possible with Pro Tools? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Can exported audio include a marker position as metadata?

Giving this a little bump to see if anyone knows the answer. I was never able to figure out a way to do it, so maybe it just can't be done.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_m View Post
Hello all,

I have searched the forum for this, and suspect that the answer is "no". However, I thought it worth asking in case there is a workaround or recent solution that I'm missing.

The question is:

Is there any way to export audio from Pro Tools (preferably as an exported clip, rather than a realtime bounce) so that it includes information about a specific, sample-accurate location within that audio file, which can be read by other applications?

Just to be clear, I'm not asking about using BWF to save the starting location of the audio file; I want to save a location in the file.

So for example I would then open the file in Sound Forge, and the saved location would appear as a marker or region. (It doesn't really matter how it's interpreted, just so long as it shows up in some form.)

Unfortunately, any methods that involve exporting and importing marker lists in some other file format won't suit my workflow - I need specifically to save the location in the audio file itself.

Is it possible with Pro Tools? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Have you checked the manual? There's a lot of info there about metadata though I'm not sure it's possible to do what you want to do.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 PM

This used to happen by default with SDII files. Isn't there a command to do this in the clips menu? Something about exporting region definitions? I've never used this myself but I assumed this would write region metadata to the appropriate file. I could be mistaken though.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 AM

Export Region (Clip) Definitions to File in the Clip Menu. But only certain software sees PT's regions. Toast does/did. Not sure what else does.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_m View Post

Almost all editing programs will recognize region (clip) definitions exported by ProTools in a WAV file. In PT, create an edit at the point you want to have a marker (to create a new clip), name the clips as desired, then select them and "Export Region Definitions" from the clip bin mini-menu (shift-command-Y). When you open that file in your other editor you'll see markers for the regions. I have *not* checked in Sound Forge, but it works in just about everything else.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Hi all

Thank you for posting. Sorry it's taken a while for me to find time to investigate this further. So, it seems that the "export clips as definitions" command writes some metadata back to the session's source audio files.

Unfortunately, though, "export clip definitions" won't do what I'm looking for, because the metadata exported to the file is not seen by any of my other audio editors (Sound Forge, Samplitude, Audition). It is recognised by PT, of course, but that's back to square one... :-s

I'm also not entirely sure if the method would suit my workflow (if I were able to read the metadata outside PT) because the need to split a clip to create the metadata seems to create difficulties in making sure the audio file has all the audio in the right order, as well as the definitions. Admittedly it may work better than I think - but I'm not sure, because I can't test it thoroughly in practice.

Can anyone recommend a PC-compatible audio editor that would read the clip definition metadata?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Rail Jon Rogut has an app that converts Pro Tools markers.

http://www.railjonrogut.com/

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks - I'll check that out.