How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 AM

Default ilok stopped then started

Dear all,

Just had a fairly frustrating time with my ilok for Pro Tools 10 today. I have been using it both with my laptop (Macbook) and desktop (imac) (OSX 10.8.5) for more than a year, but have been working abroad and not used it for a while.

I paid for ZDT (zero down time) which seemed like a good idea at the time, but for some reason needs refreshing every 90 days. I just went to use my ilok again and though the blue light came on it's not recognized by either my laptop or desktop. So I thought it may be because I'd gone past a 90 day refresh period without refreshing, but the latest version of ilok manager could not see the ilok either, so there's no scope to do anything. I started an RMA with ilok but they want more money about $50 to ship another ilok by express from the USA.

So I called Avid expressing some frustration with the unhelpful ilok corporate attitude, website, and that as a legitimate end user I'm made to jump through so many hoops and what could be done to help?
Then mysteriously for no reason that I could identify, my ilok starts working again on both my desktop and laptop????

Hope no one else has this problem but if they do, they might find this post slightly helpful.

I realise Avid needs to protect its software but I find ilok's modus operandi pretty unhelpful and unpleasant, and quickly appears to blame the end user for problems.
I wonder if ilok make a lot of money from their operation?

Mick
Old 04-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Re: ilok stopped then started

Did you disable USB power management? This is a not-so-handy-for-us feature that shuts off power to the USB ports when it "thinks" they're not being used.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Exclamation Re: ilok stopped then started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagist View Post
I just went to use my ilok again and though the blue light came on it's not recognized by either my laptop or desktop. So I thought it may be because I'd gone past a 90 day refresh period
That sounds like the iLok is dying. I would exercise your ZDT coverage and get that iLok replaced.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Did you disable USB power management? This is a not-so-handy-for-us feature that shuts off power to the USB ports when it "thinks" they're not being used.
Thanks for your suggestion but I don't think USB power management exists on a Mac, I've never come across it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
That sounds like the iLok is dying. I would exercise your ZDT coverage and get that iLok replaced.
Thank you for your suggestion I was not aware of any ilok dying phenomenon and assumed it was quite robust but searched for 'iLok dying' and came across some quite illuminating threads, about ilok problems.

I already have a brand new untouched iLok and it seems I may be able to transfer my license on to that using iLok manager, although the procedure for doing so seems a bit hit and miss after reading some threads on here.

I have also purchased a Pro Tools 11 upgrade which I have not activated yet, and as I understand it it includes a Pro Tools 10 license, so perhaps I could put that on the new iLok and use that if the original iLok does fail for Pro Tools 10 (I'll be surprised if it does as I have not made that much use of it), and it's never had any 'accident' that I'm aware of. It has been through airport scanners many times, could that affect it?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Arrow Re: ilok stopped then started

Quote:
It has been through airport scanners many times, could that affect it?
Unlikely. My first and second generation iLoks have been through airport scanners more than once and they are still working.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM

I've been advised by Avid that being locked out of Pro Tools by iLok was caused by 'an iLok transition' (whatever that is) during the period that I didn't use my iLok.

When I asked for further explanation of what an 'iLok transition' might be I was referred to the Ilok website where of course there's no apparent explanation?

Great!

So it seems there may be nothing whatsoever wrong with my iLok and this could happen to anyone at anytime!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Avid

Quote:
I've been advised by Avid that being locked out of Pro Tools by iLok was caused by 'an iLok transition' (whatever that is) during the period that I didn't use my iLok.

When I asked for further explanation of what an 'iLok transition' might be I was referred to the Ilok website where of course there's no apparent explanation?

Great!

So it seems there may be nothing whatsoever wrong with my iLok and this could happen to anyone at anytime!
I grabbed that support case so I can look into this further. Please reply to the case notice email and provide your iLok User ID.

Thanks,
JC
Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I grabbed that support case so I can look into this further. Please reply to the case notice email and provide your iLok User ID.

Thanks,
JC
Thanks for your help, have now replied with iLok ID.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion I was not aware of any ilok dying phenomenon and assumed it was quite robust but searched for 'iLok dying' and came across some quite illuminating threads, about ilok problems.

I already have a brand new untouched iLok and it seems I may be able to transfer my license on to that using iLok manager, although the procedure for doing so seems a bit hit and miss after reading some threads on here.

I have also purchased a Pro Tools 11 upgrade which I have not activated yet, and as I understand it it includes a Pro Tools 10 license, so perhaps I could put that on the new iLok and use that if the original iLok does fail for Pro Tools 10 (I'll be surprised if it does as I have not made that much use of it), and it's never had any 'accident' that I'm aware of. It has been through airport scanners many times, could that affect it?
If you indeed purchased PT11 as an upgrade from your current PT10 asset the current PT10 asset you have gets surrendered when you activate the new PT11 asset. At least it did for me.

As to your original iLok going bad it's possible due to static discharge. That can happen without your even feeling or seeing it when you plugin or unplug an iLok. Damage due to static discharge is difficult to see and can't be seen by the naked eye.

QAPLA!