Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Avid Lawsuit against Gobbler

"Avid states in its complaint that each of the four men had been with Avid for more than 10 years prior to leaving for Media Gobble. The complaint continues on to state: "the trade secrets and confidential information to which the former Avid employees had access would provide an unfair advantage if improperly used for, or disclosed to, Gobbler, or if used by a Gobbler employee in furtherance of Gobbler's competitive interests."

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/ne....html?page=all
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Avid Lawsuit against Gobbler

Gobbler's still around??? Tried it when it first came out and hated its workflow.

BTW, worst company name EVER.

Sure seemed fishy when all the went down.

As usual, lawyers will get richer over crap like this and not much else good will come of it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:20 AM

I use Gobbler all the time. I have two internet connections. Gobbler is smart enough to use both connections. Screaming fast uploads. They have some killer compression thing going on. Would be a shame if the 1000 pound gorilla kills them. Avid lost some their best and brightest to Gobbler...they must have seen something more promising over the horizon.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM

I think the problem stems from the fact that at the moment, PT (Avid) is not using gobbler, and yet they actually made an add on the gobbler employment web page about the 4 Avid employers and how Gobbler was being used with PT....

And it's in reference to this

"Avid says Media Gobbler continues to imply in its promotional material that a relationship between the companies exists."

And this

"Avid wants the court to force Media Gobbler to stop suggesting or implying on its website that its service works with Avid products."

It also seems that it will be smoothed out very quickly, since gobbler already changed that page since yesterday (when I saw it) taking out it's involvement with Pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cole View Post
I use Gobbler all the time. I have two internet connections. Gobbler is smart enough to use both connections. Screaming fast uploads. They have some killer compression thing going on. Would be a shame if the 1000 pound gorilla kills them. Avid lost some their best and brightest to Gobbler...they must have seen something more promising over the horizon.
Does it still scan your hard drive and list each PT session file like it's a separate project? I do a lot of revisions and versions for my clients and their method was a mess.

How can Avid kill them? If the guys that left violated non competes etc, then there has to be recourse right? Same goes for using someone's technology when you're not supposed to, right?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Gobbler is awesome!!!

Plus Avid is well known at this point for treating their people terribly. Everyone who is still there fears losing their job every day.

Avid should chill out.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
Gobbler is awesome!!!

Plus Avid is well known at this point for treating their people terribly. Everyone who is still there fears losing their job every day.

Avid should chill out.

I like Gobbler too, paid subscriber. Corporate culture aside, Avid should, and has the right to, protect their intellectual property as well as enforce DNCs.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike496 View Post
I like Gobbler too, paid subscriber. Corporate culture aside, Avid should, and has the right to, protect their intellectual property as well as enforce DNCs.
I totally agree. What kind of success in any business can we speak about if everyone who wants will use something that has been creating with many efforts and costs?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 AM

It's no surprise (and probably the right thing to do under the circumstances) that Avid is rattling it's sabre - when the lead architects of Avid's very own on-line storage / back-up / collaboration system, up sticks and take jobs with their only direct competitors.

Avid is probably pretty scared by that. Even giving those former employees the benefit of the doubt, that they would remain tight lipped about the strategy, and direction that Avid is taking - it still looks incredibly bad for Avid on a number of fronts, and raises any number of questions, such as :

Does this mean Avid has taken completely the wrong path with it's implementation of these features, to be rolled out in "Avid Everywhere"?

Is there a culture of Avid management completely ignoring their employee's advice / better judgment / experience, causing these employees to completely loose faith, and opt to work for a competitor with a more unified vision?

Does this signal that Gobbler are about to do something truly revolutionary for the industry, and beat Avid to the punch to boot?

What would lure four such prominent employees away - pay / future career opportunities / management's unwillingness to listen to staff / corporate vision?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 AM

If you can't pay your employees a competitive wage, then it's going to cost you.
Unless Avid had employment contracts with non competition clauses (VERY expensive) with those former employees - they are going to loose.