Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 AM

Default Windows 10 / Pro Tools 11 compatibility ?

Hi there, today i was prompted by Microsoft to sign up for windows 10, i have not upgraded my Pro Tools to version 12 yet, to be honest i cant see any current benefit to do so, seems like a re-skin of 11. My question is, do we know if Pro Tools 11 will be compatible with Windows 10?

I remember few years ago there was an issue going from XP to Win 7 with pro tools until an update was available, but PT 11 is no longer supported by Avid so there will be no patches etc.

Thank u for any insight..
Ryan
Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Do NOT upgrade to Windows 10 until you get the "all clear." When any OS updates are released by Microsoft or Apple, this forum is often flooded with users complaining that they upgraded their OS without checking for compatibility first. (Please turn off auto update.)

Historically, Avid is relatively slow to test and certify new OS's. It is a long and painstaking process, but you should not want it any other way. We'd rather have it fully tested and approved instead of having an unstable or buggy combination of OS and Protools (Protools has enough bugs of its own). We know patience is difficult. Most likely Avid will need to come out with a new version to be compatible with any major OS updates. It could take several months. In the mean time let those of us that have test systems play around with it for a while and report back issues of success stories.

NEVER upgrade a production system without a proper backup and rollback strategy, and even then NEVER in the middle of a project or pending project.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 06-01-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post

NEVER upgrade a production system without a proper backup and rollback strategy, and even then NEVER in the middle of a project or pending project.
That's the absolute best advice you can get^^^ Having said that, I have a friend that is using Win10 and PT11 with good performance(which gives us hope, if nothing else). To expound on OD's advice, I recommend removing your current system drive, install a fresh drive and install Win10 and PT on this new drive for experimentation. Doing this means you can swap back to the old system drive and go back to work, just in case your Win10 trial turns sour

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the feed back gents...
Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Windows 10 / Pro Tools 11 compatibility ?

Well, I just decided to go for it, and so far everything is working OK for me.
I am just a home user, but I'm running an eleven rack with Pro Tools 11.3.1 Fairly new custom built PC and such, 16 gb ram. Windows 10 is pretty smooth for me so far. Whatever drivers I had from Windows 7 were the most recent ones, and those seem to work fine for Windows 10 so far.

Cheers from Colorado :)
Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 PM

It takes Avid years to acclimate to new operating systems, so I decided to just upgrade and see if it worked. I am running PT 11 HD with an AVID Artist Mix board. If it didn't work, that would be a good reason for me to switch to another DAW since I have no good reason to hemorrhage a grand to upgrade to PT 12.

Bottom line. It works.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 PM

I had a terrible time running Pro Tools Express 10.3.4 on Windows 10. The program works great for a while, and then after a few hours, the entire sound on my PC goes out. Even stranger, programs that use streaming audio (like YouTube or iTunes) stop working completely and lock up. Could this be a memory leak?

I don't have a soundcard installed - I am using my mbox as a playback device (then through studio monitor speakers or headphones). I have a sneaky feeling that Windows 10 doesn't like to do streaming audio this way. Or, there is something wrong with my USB ports.

The good news is that I restored my PC back to Windows 7 and am no longer having audio problems.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickkellogg View Post
I had a terrible time running Pro Tools Express 10.3.4 on Windows 10. The program works great for a while, and then after a few hours, the entire sound on my PC goes out. Even stranger, programs that use streaming audio (like YouTube or iTunes) stop working completely and lock up. Could this be a memory leak?

I don't have a soundcard installed - I am using my mbox as a playback device (then through studio monitor speakers or headphones). I have a sneaky feeling that Windows 10 doesn't like to do streaming audio this way. Or, there is something wrong with my USB ports.

The good news is that I restored my PC back to Windows 7 and am no longer having audio problems.
I can assure you after making the upgrade to PT 12 on Win 10 i have had 50% less problems than version 11.3, for example sometimes the audio would just mute, i would get CPU overload errors when the resource manager showed 25% usage. With version 12 all this went away and it is making me think could this have been a deliberate programming in PT 11.3 patch because 11 and 11.2 itself was flawless, i am reading many similar stories online of software not performing as well with latest updates prior to a new release to get people to buy it.
I am using MBOX 3 firewire connection...

I think you should upgrade to 12 as there will probably be no support for previous versions any more mate, good luck with your productions.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:29 AM

Pro Tools 11 works great for me with Windows 10. I upgraded Windows in place and it was completely painless. The Windows 10 Operating System doesn't fundamentally change the way drivers work from Windows 8 or 7.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyschwartz View Post
Pro Tools 11 works great for me with Windows 10. I upgraded Windows in place and it was completely painless. The Windows 10 Operating System doesn't fundamentally change the way drivers work from Windows 8 or 7.
I took the plunge and upgraded to 12, suspiciously the instability introduced in the previous 11.3(?) patch is non existent and it runs really well, with 12.2 there is now plenty of reasons to make the upgrade...