Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM

Default What would normal disk usage considered to be in the usage window?

After installing 8.0.1 I began working on a session that was atypical for me in many ways. It was my first time using strike as the drum track, first time using multiple instances of eleven, and first time in a while doing a session at 88.2khz. Also I believe it was the first time that i chose to record at 64 hardware buffer setting, foregoing recording in low latency mode. After slapping on some plugs to get a quick idea of how it things might sound mixed I inevitably ran into a cpu error. Not surprising considering this was a session of firsts.

At this point I decided to continue the session with the usage window up to get an idea of how various things were effecting the cpu usage and noticed that cpu usage seemed a bit high(although I understand why this is) but also I noticed that the disk usage was higher than I had ever seen it. Normally I have never seen it above 10% but i should state that I generally don't work with the usage window open as i generally don't really run into many usage type issues.

This peaked my curiosity and i decided to open up some session that were fully mixed and edited as well as a few sessions that have a pretty high track count. What i noticed was that on many of my sessions (particularly the ones with high track count) the disk usage was showing as high as something like 27% maybe more. So now I am even more curious. Is this normal? Have I been using Protools for ten years without noticing this, or is this a sign of something else. The drive that I'm recording to only has about 40gig out of 500 used. Not sure if that matters but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Sorry to be so long winded but i couldn't really think of a concise way of asking the question in the title of the thread. So what do my fellow duc'ers think?
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Default Re: What would normal disk usage considered to be in the usage window?

Long Story short, I took a look at things tonight with a clear head and it seems that a majority of my sessions do show very little disk usage. A Session like the one that comes with multi-platinum mixing with fifty-ish tracks shows as just under 30% disk usage. Don't know why It tripped me out. Nothing to see here folks, lol! I'm gonna go bury my head in the sand now.

DTS you can definitely delete this thread!
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Digitopian piece u should see if Tamara is home

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

LOL, I know I know.....it was a long night last night. What can I say...I'm just waiting for something to go wrong i guess.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitopian View Post
LOL, I know I know.....it was a long night last night. What can I say...I'm just waiting for something to go wrong i guess.
Well thatz understandable... really makes it feel much better when things Don't go wrong hunh & when they do, u can say I knew that was gonna happen instead of AAHHHHHHH, WHAT HAPPENED: HELP:HELP: MY TUESDAY CAME BEFORE MY MONDAY!!! CAN U HELP ME DIGI BETTER FIX THIS ON SUNDAY!!!!

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Key, whatever you do don't look at my thread in the virtual instruments section, lol. It was posted about the same time as this one and while i do believe there is a tiny bit of merit to it, I would say that for the most part it's just more paranoia. You hang out here long enough with everyone and their bugs and dooms day scenarios and it becomes contagious!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitopian View Post
Key, whatever you do don't look at my thread in the virtual instruments section, lol. It was posted about the same time as this one and while i do believe there is a tiny bit of merit to it, I would say that for the most part it's just more paranoia. You hang out here long enough with everyone and their bugs and dooms day scenarios and it becomes contagious!
OK now u know u shouldn't have told me NOT to look @ it

& yeah ur rite about some getting paranoid after seeing other peeps problems... I'm one of the few that doesn't let that get me though; My system(s) are usually really stable[knocking on wood on'eim]

I'll check back with ya though.....in ur other thread

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
OK now u know u shouldn't have told me NOT to look @ it

& yeah ur rite about some getting paranoid after seeing other peeps problems... I'm one of the few that doesn't let that get me though; My system(s) are usually really stable[knocking on wood on'eim]

I'll check back with ya though.....in ur other thread
I'm actually in the same boat. I never had the dreaded playback issue when I upgraded to pro tools 8, or any other significant issues. I generally run a pretty tight ship with my rig and do all the common sense things but this past week and a half I have had more issues than i care to go into. Ironically they were all hardware related. I learned some valuable lessons regarding a certain company and their QC or lack there of and my second favorite Recording amp decided to get all cranky on me so I guess the paranoia has been building for a little while.

Anyway check that post if you haven't already! I'm curious to see what you think.