Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Default HDX Track Count & Buffer Size

Hi Everyone,

Awhile back I sold my HD systems and have been running an Apollo with HD software. I mostly mix so it's suited me fine but I'm usually having to run on high buffer sizes, which can be annoying when I need to track, so I'm thinking of getting an HDX system.

I was hoping for a clarification though: I can currently playback 256 voices and have 768 tracks in my session. Am I understanding it correctly that with an HDX system I will no longer be able to have sessions with more than 256 tracks in it - even if the tracks are inactive? (That would be incredibly annoying.)

Also, I often run a lot of VIs, which I know won't be affected by having the DSP in HDX but I can only assume that the system will run better when the computer is not having to worry about the regular PT tasks? I'm kind of just hoping that's a significant alleviation on the system so I can get the buffer size down.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Re: HDX Track Count & Buffer Size

That doesn't make any sense, if you have an Apollo, you should be able to track with no latency regardless of what stage you're at. The Apollo basically works the same as HDX would, except it only works with you UAD plug-ins.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
That doesn't make any sense, if you have an Apollo, you should be able to track with no latency regardless of what stage you're at. The Apollo basically works the same as HDX would, except it only works with you UAD plug-ins.
Well, yes and no. The Apollo is great and it does have near-zero latency, however, there is an added level of abstraction with having to use the console app. It works well but for time-demanding situations it messes workflow given that you can't use Quickpunch or listen back to the chain as it was recorded (unless you want to print it). You also have to manage the output level of PT for proper levels relative to the console app. It can just be a bit fussy. I miss just being fully integrated into PT, where what you're listening to when tracking is what you're listening to on playback. Also, half my work is 5.1 for broadcast so the the Apollo isn't ideal for that either. Again, it all works well for what it is but I just think I can make it better for my workflow.

With the exception of my initial question: How many audio tracks are allowed to be in a PT session running on a single HDX card? I know it can have 256 active voices but is that the track count as well? Are you not able to have any additional inactive tracks?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
Hi Everyone,

Awhile back I sold my HD systems and have been running an Apollo with HD software. I mostly mix so it's suited me fine but I'm usually having to run on high buffer sizes, which can be annoying when I need to track, so I'm thinking of getting an HDX system.

I was hoping for a clarification though: I can currently playback 256 voices and have 768 tracks in my session. Am I understanding it correctly that with an HDX system I will no longer be able to have sessions with more than 256 tracks in it - even if the tracks are inactive? (That would be incredibly annoying.)

Also, I often run a lot of VIs, which I know won't be affected by having the DSP in HDX but I can only assume that the system will run better when the computer is not having to worry about the regular PT tasks? I'm kind of just hoping that's a significant alleviation on the system so I can get the buffer size down.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
I dont think you can't have more tracks in HDX than HD regular, that does not make sense at all. I have HDX but i usually dont have more than 200 tracks in my sessions.

Here it says 768 tracks per HDX cards if i understand correctly:

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compare

For the VI's, never had any issues with those, but i'm not a composer so sometimes i can have 10 VI's in a session, and sometimes 0.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Here it says 768 tracks per HDX cards if i understand correctly:

http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compare
Thanks audioluche. I did see that but it's actually what made me wonder. I see how you're reading it - and I hope you're correct - but I had read it that HDX can offer up to 768 voices if you have HDX3 and that there's no real indication of actual track count.

Could someone with an HDX1 system confirm this? Even if it's just by adding 750 mono audio tracks to a blank session and let me know what happens?

Thanks again.

Ryan
Old 01-22-2017, 06:51 PM

Okay, I did some more sleuthing and came across this:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...s-Pro-Tools-10

It's old but probably still relevant. I guess the term is "Maximum Voiceable Tracks", which apparently is indeed 768.

That works. Thanks again everyone.

Ryan
Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks audioluche. I did see that but it's actually what made me wonder. I see how you're reading it - and I hope you're correct - but I had read it that HDX can offer up to 768 voices if you have HDX3 and that there's no real indication of actual track count.

Could someone with an HDX1 system confirm this? Even if it's just by adding 750 mono audio tracks to a blank session and let me know what happens?

Thanks again.

Ryan
I'll try to do that for you after my session...

Cheers.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
I'll try to do that for you after my session...

Cheers.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure of the answer but a confirmation would be great.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm pretty sure of the answer but a confirmation would be great.
Hi Ryan,

I had a session with approx. 25 stereo audio tracks.
I added 500 (empty) stereo audio tracks and all was fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Luc
Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Awesome. Thanks Luc. I really appreciate it.