Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Help with MEZZO restore

Hi gang,

We are currently unable to reauthorize our Mezzo 4.5 software (GMR is not responding); unfortunately we never upgraded to 4.7. We have hundreds of Mezzo backups DATs--one of which we need to restore urgently.

1. If you have a working Mezzo 4.5 (or later) system and would be willing to restore a project for us, please contact me (we'll be happy to compensate you for your time).

2. If you would like to sell Mezzo 4.7 (with auth) please contact me as well.

You can respond to this thread or (better yet) email chuck at bakersound dot com. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM

I feel your pain....we have two Mezzo seats that are down because we can't get any response from GMR. Since it appears that they have abandoned Mezzo, at least they could post a version without copy protection......
Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 PM

Mezzo totally sucks balls!! I had a version that wouldn't restore a client's backup. It kept telling me that no files had been backed up while at the same time the little meter showed the tape was completely full go figure.

The stupid tech support was as much help as, well, nothing. Their solution was I send the tape to them and they extract the data for money. NICE!!! I stopped using it after that.

The client was a big PITA too, not understanding and very accusatory - basically the exact wrong type of client to run into problems with their backup - not that there is a right kind, but this was definitely NO FUN!

Now I do all my backups to HD. Manually. I'll probably use Time Machine when I upgrade to an Intel.

Sorry to hear about your Mezzo probs. I wish there was a thread like this before I bought the MF in the first place! What a waste of like $400.

I'll check tomorrow. I might have Mezzo 4.5. If so I can try and do a restore for ya.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Email me - I have 4.7 ilok that I can transfer to you

I saw this coming many years ago - Mezzo and GMR where the worst possible piece of (expensive) crap ever to see daylight
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM

[email protected]
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Hey Chuck... emailed you... I have a mezzo 4.5 and 4.7 for sale... yeloocevad at sbcglobal d o t n e t.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Thanks to all who replied; a DUC member sold us a Mezzo 4.7 authorized iLok for a reasonable price, so we're back up and running. A couple points of interest:

1. We were unable to transfer the Mezzo iLok asset between iLok accounts (you can only transfer it from one iLok to another on a local machine). It seems that GMR chose to make this a non-transferable asset like Waves used to be. So if you need Mezzo 4.7 authorization (or are selling same), you're probably going to have to FedEx an authorized, physical iLok--that's what we did.

2. The 4.7 software can still be downloaded directly from Mezzo's site, so if you have any thought that you might need this software I'd suggest you download it now, while the site is still up and running.

3. I'm no lawyer, but I wonder if a class action suit might be employed to compel GMR to either (a) post a non-copy-protected version of the software or (b) provide iLok assets to all registered 4.x users?

Best of luck to all of you who have been abandoned by GMR.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbutler View Post
T3. I'm no lawyer, but I wonder if a class action suit might be employed to compel GMR to either (a) post a non-copy-protected version of the software or (b) provide iLok assets to all registered 4.x users?
Count me in...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM

I see this as an additional cautionary tale against having data backed up using proprietary formats such as Retrospect. I gave up on using it a long time ago for several other reasons, but having my data at the mercy of a third party company/program is out of the question.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Funny to find this post. I'm staring at a stack of tapes archived in 2003 with Mezzo and wondering what I can do to retrieve the data on them. I contacted GMR about a year+ ago and asked a few simple questions (including about purchasing an upgrade). Not only were they unhelpful, they were completely rude. They couldn't have cared less. It's a wonder they're still in business. I had trouble from the beginning with Mezzo and should have known better. I learned my lesson the hard way and have been backing up to drives (without using proprietary software) ever since.

Question for yeloocevad... Do you still have those copies of Mezzo for sale?

On another note, Clif/C-tone, it's Peter A here. Those tracks we did at The Pass are coming together great. U rock!