Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Transferring Mix to DVD/promotional mix

I have recently finished a mix that was made for a promotional DVD. Everyone in the band signed off on the mix, and now 2 weeks later, they are complaining that it doesn't sound good through a television(i.e. that video company that put my mix with the DVD sent them a copy after they had put the mix with the DVD). I am not sure what type of conversion needs to happen when adding a mix to video, and I am really not sure what to do to make the mix a little more "4 inch mono speaker:<) compatible. Any suggestions?
Control 24
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Transferring Mix to DVD/promotional mix

did you mix it on nice, decent montors? and they approved the mix in your room? or did you check on auratones, some other crappy speaker, car, boom box etc. if you didn't check the mix on a TV type speaker, then you would only be guessing at what it might sound like.... i mix differently for TV.

you may need to explain to them the difference between a studio monitor with a tweeter and a 10" bass driver and a 4" single driver speaker....

you also need to ask the company that made the DVD if they made an AC3 file, or compressed the audio to an MPEG stream. if they did (which they had to in some form) you may want to ask them what settings they used. some default DVD programs make the audio sound like a bad mp3. if they knew what they were doing, then your audio should be pretty good and you are back where you started at the beginning of my post.

hope this helps
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash