How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Default 11R noise when reamping hi-gain amps

Hi.

I get large amount of nose when pluging 11R amp out into my ENGL Powerball amplifier. It's a high gain amp, but it has no noise when I plug guitar into it. It's a new amp, never been used outside the studio. Never had any problems with.

So that means that 11R input is not identical to its amp outputs ?!?!

The only way it works with minimal amount of noise it to use 11R XLR main outs ->>> Radial X-AMP (reamp box) ->>> ENGL.
http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm

I expect that a box with identical AD/DA would have inputs and outputs closely matched, so it should definitely be no (or minimal) difference between plugin in guitar or routing the guitar through 11R.

I don't have a clue? Anyone?

Br,
Dali
Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 11R noise when reamping hi-gain amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiamond View Post
Hi.

I get large amount of nose when pluging 11R amp out into my ENGL Powerball amplifier. It's a high gain amp, but it has no noise when I plug guitar into it. It's a new amp, never been used outside the studio. Never had any problems with.

So that means that 11R input is not identical to its amp outputs ?!?!

The only way it works with minimal amount of noise it to use 11R XLR main outs ->>> Radial X-AMP (reamp box) ->>> ENGL.
http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm

I expect that a box with identical AD/DA would have inputs and outputs closely matched, so it should definitely be no (or minimal) difference between plugin in guitar or routing the guitar through 11R.

I don't have a clue? Anyone?

Br,
Dali
Perhaps you are experiencing this problem?
Mysterious Hum

Also. The outputs to amp can be configured to take the signal at different points in the chain (Guitar in, Amp in, amp out, rig out, rig out no cab). Depending on where in your ENGL you are plugging it in (guitar input? FX loop?), you would want to choose the appropriate setting (also depends on what you're trying to do with it...)
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you are experiencing this problem?
Mysterious Hum

Also. The outputs to amp can be configured to take the signal at different points in the chain (Guitar in, Amp in, amp out, rig out, rig out no cab). Depending on where in your ENGL you are plugging it in (guitar input? FX loop?), you would want to choose the appropriate setting (also depends on what you're trying to do with it...)
Thank you for reply!

Both AMP Outs have the same hum. Everything connected to same AC circuit. Nothing matter if I make ground lift for any or both of the devices.
I know about different points for outputs. Everything about unit is crystal clear. I've been doing reamping for 7 years now, using Radial X-Amp, so that's nothing new to me. The general idea is to route the signal through the 11R, where signal should not be changed IMHO. But it seems the signal does change somehow. Where else could the hum/noise come in then?

Guitar Out > ENGL Guitar In = OK
Guitar > Guitar in - 11R - Amp Out > ENGL Guitar In = HUM
Guitar > Guitar in - 11R - XLR Main OUT > Radial X-AMP > ENGL Guitar In = OK

The fact that setup 3 is OK, points that there must be some cheap elements inside 11R and not true transformer isolated outputs for amps, as they should be for serious reamping. I really hope I'm wrong on this one.

Thank you

Br,
Dali
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Sounds like you have ground loop hum. Not at all uncommon.

I'll let one of the Avid guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if the 11R has transformer-isolated outputs. Not advertised as such.

You can take one of the usual approaches to breaking your ground loop:

1) Use a 1:1 transformer between the 11R's amp out and the Engl's input.
2) Lift the safety ground of either one of the devices.

Some handy links:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHE2PKG
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EBTHUMX

You can find the iso transformers from other vendors, of course.

The Hum-X is - AFAIK - unique to Ebtech. This works like a ground cheater but acts as if the safety ground is properly connected in the (unlikely) event of a ground fault.

Personally, I prefer the Hum-X to an iso transformer since it's not in the audio path.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM

I took out the ground of each and both devices. That's the most obvious thing to do. Also I run the signal through Silverblade guitar splitter which has transformer isolated outputs and the hum was still there, because it originates inside 11R, I guess.

http://silverbladeaudio.com/hx3.html

Maybe this is the real thing for reamping. The price is nice too :)
http://www.radialeng.com/di-jd7.htm

Lp,
Dali
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Yah. Maybe you need the hardware update referenced in adamqlw's post. I didn't notice that until after I had posted about the ground loop.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Yah. Maybe you need the hardware update referenced in adamqlw's post. I didn't notice that until after I had posted about the ground loop.
I doubt. Unit is new. Jack outs are metal, not plastic. Only plastic jack is for Phones.

Br,
Dali