Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 04-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Problem with Strike and Pro Tools Tempo

I have a song completed with a click track, and when I try to drag in my Strike Midi sequence it just doesn't match up exactly with my song.

I tried tweaking settings and it didn't make a difference. It was close to being on-time, but not perfect.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Problem with Strike and Pro Tools Tempo

I assume you're using strike 1.5. You might want to work with the feel dial. I've used the exp.midi to export a verse and pushed the feel dial completely to the left. After dragging and dropping the midi export it definitely is ahead of the beat on the grid. If I have the feel dial straight up the first beat is on but the rest of the hits are a little ahead, not much however. If I move the feel dial to the right the exported midi gets closer to lining up with the grid.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Band View Post
I have a song completed with a click track, and when I try to drag in my Strike Midi sequence it just doesn't match up exactly with my song.
Two approaches from this stage. Either keep Strike non-destructive (MIDI) or destructive (Audio). If MIDI use MIDI Track Offset. If Audio print the Strike performance and realign.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Two approaches from this stage. Either keep Strike non-destructive (MIDI) or destructive (Audio). If MIDI use MIDI Track Offset. If Audio print the Strike performance and realign.
filosofem, I'm a little confused by your response. If Roper Band created a song with a click and then decide to put in a midi track copied from a Strike style, wouldn't it be a strike style problem?

cheers, harryk
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM

The Performance should remain the same however the trigger latency needs off setting. It's this note trigger to sample playback latency that causes synchronization problems. That said MIDI is not a reliable clock source, quite inconsistent this is why Bus Recording eliminates any sync issues.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the responses filo...can you give me a quick rundown of how I set up Strike with MIDI track offset?

Don't these issues make Strike almost useless as compared to other drum programs? My application seems to be quite elementary, yet Strike won't even do that? I'm a little frustrated by your responses.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM

'MIDI Track Offset' it's covered with your Pro Tools Reference Guide. And yes most sample accessed plug-ins have some degree of latency. If MIDI Track Offset doesn't tighten the performance to how you like, print the performance to separate audio tracks.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
If MIDI Track Offset doesn't tighten the performance to how you like, print the performance to separate audio tracks.
Any tips on how to record Strike onto an audio track? I appreciate your help.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Any tips on how to record Strike onto an audio track? I appreciate your help.
There are two ways that I use to print strike to an audio track.
1) use a stereo bus from the strike instrument track to a stereo audio track and record.
2) output the individual drum parts from the strike instrument track to separate mono tracks. This is covered in the chapter on strike in the virtual instrument pdf.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Any tips on how to record Strike onto an audio track?
Use mono audio tracks, panning Strike Mix Channels hard left and right thus accessing sixteen Strike Buses. Watch the Strike Mix Channel levels too. By the way why did you export the Strike Performance?