Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Shift + fader sets level to 0db

I find it hard to believe that AVID has disabled the feature on purpose. If they wold have Disabled it, it would not be implemented at all.

The feature is still shown on the EuCon 3.1-3.2 GUI and the "unity Gain" message is received by the application EuCon is controlling.

I have also searched the forum and I have never seen any comments from AVID staff regarding the decision to leave this feature out of the EuCon.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but AVID has not stopped supporting W-LAN, but they have stopped support for V-LAN. (Wireless-LAN compared to Virtual-LAN).
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaiho View Post
I find it hard to believe that AVID has disabled the feature on purpose. If they wold have Disabled it, it would not be implemented at all.
To be more specific, beginning with EUCON v3.1, S+F=0dB was disabled on the Artist Mix, but not the Artist Control. S+F=0dB was disabled on the Mix, due to a problem with flip mode causing fader jitter. Yes, the problem is a bug. S+F=0dB was disabled as a "temporary" cure - and it has been so since December 2013.

Also, the feature is not completely disabled. Pressing Shift+Fader will set the DAW faders to 0dB; however, the Mix faders will not physically move to 0dB. This puts the Mix faders out of sync with the DAW faders. Not exactly ideal in a flying fader system - the very raison d'être of the Artist Series, in the first place.

Quote:
The feature is still shown on the EuCon 3.1-3.2 GUI and the "unity Gain" message is received by the application EuCon is controlling.
Unfortunately, the EUCON GUI dates back several years and has been passed on up through the various versions. Just because it's shown on the GUI doesn't mean it's fully functional.

Quote:
I have also searched the forum and I have never seen any comments from AVID staff regarding the decision to leave this feature out of the EuCon.
That doesn't surprise me. I've looked back through a lot of threads on this forum. It's utterly amazing how many posts have been deleted! I wanted to provide you with a reference to post #10 on this thread, but discovered that well over half of the posts have been deleted! The thread now ends at post #4!

Quote:
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but AVID has not stopped supporting W-LAN, but they have stopped support for V-LAN. (Wireless-LAN compared to Virtual-LAN).
Read it for yourself here. To quote Kyle Splittgerber, Avid Tech Support, "... connections such as LAGG/Wi-Fi (which were never supported) are now blocked."

I suggest you read the above ASAP - before it, too, is deleted!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 AM

Default Shift + fader sets level to 0db

Well In on Artist mix on 3.21 and it's not disabled here..
I use it all the time.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
Well In on Artist mix on 3.21 and it's not disabled here..
I use it all the time.
Please describe your system. All of us who have wrestled with this problem, for the past two years, would love to know how you accomplished it. I would think Avid Tech Support would love to hear about it, too - since they've stated the bug is logged and they hope to have S+F=0dB restored in a future EUCON version.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Shift + fader sets level to 0db

I have an artist mix on MacBook Pro 2012 running Yosemite and software 3.21 with a Thunderbolt Display. The artist mix is connected to the Ethernet port on the display. I push shift on Arist mix and touch fader and it goes to 0db.. I see some of you have more units, maybe that's the problem.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 AM

Doesn't work here... Worked with older versions of eucon.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 AM

Ok, Thanks for the feedback.

I did some more troubleshooting and just realised that the faders actually do work every now and then. It sure is a peculiar way of "disabling a function" in a driver.

I tried using direct ethernet connection between my mac and the McMix with static IP-addresses.

I can still try out my laptop and a USB to ethernet adapter. I doubt that this will bring any positive results anyway.

I will also see if TCPdump will report anything that helps.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
I have an artist mix on MacBook Pro 2012 running Yosemite and software 3.21 with a Thunderbolt Display. The artist mix is connected to the Ethernet port on the display. I push shift on Arist mix and touch fader and it goes to 0db.. I see some of you have more units, maybe that's the problem.
What version of firmware is the Mix running?

Yeah, I have several units, but that's not the problem. It's the same, whether all, a few, or just one are fired-up. They all have the latest firmware. S+F=0dB works under EUCON v3.0.1, but not with any later version.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 AM

Latest firmware 1.54 if I remember correctly.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Works better with option/alt key on keyboard +touching fader.