Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Import Session Data broken??

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the Import Session data to be stuffed? I am running 7.2cs2, and i have never got it to work properly.

When i am mixing, i setup a template session and import all my tracks to that session. There are a few things that no matter what i select in the drop down window, it just doesn't work properly... the most annoying 2 being:

- If i uncheck "Main Ouput assignments" and "Send Output assignments", it STILL imports the Output assignments! This sucks because i have to then RE-IMPORT from my template session all the Output assignments

- If i uncheck "Alternate Playlists", it STILL imports the alternate playlists and all associated audio files, adding (at times) gigabytes of needless audio to my session.

I also find it only sometimes works when importing Tempo maps, and will ALWAYS overwrite the Tempo map even if i tell it to "Overlay".

The other very annoying thing is that it imports the Default New Track output assignments, so everytime i import from an LE session i end up with all my new tracks being automatically set to outputs 1-2, which is not my regular configuration.

Somebody please tell me i'm not the only one having these problems??!

Henry
Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data broken??

Quote:
When i am mixing, i setup a template session and import all my tracks to that session.Henry
Hello Henry,

I do the opposite to this? i open up a new session first with all the new audio and tracks that i want to use, Then i'll use import session data and go to my template (though its not an actual template! just a previously saved setup of all my favourite settings and pre set tracks, busses and effects etc) this seems to work better for me! plus the disk allocation is always right where i want and set to the new session.

I haven't noticed any output assignment problems this way! i have in the new session window set I/O settings to my saved sessting and not to previously used etc, this helps keep my i/o settings as i want them!

I haven't seen any problems with alternative playlists? this seems ok here, though usually i'm as i say importing just my settings and not the media!! as i do that first then import my saved settings!!!

I haven't tried overlay midi map, but just importing midi map works ok! overlay seems a receipe for disaster!

I do wish we could do away with these dissapearing drop dowm memus and get a proper window with tick boxes!!! it drives me mad having to keep reopening the pull down menu to view and select different requirements!!!

7.3.1cs1

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data broken??

Just to add to this, in mixing I occasionally will try to import a functional "undo" for insert settings -- taking them from an earlier version of the session file (or as another example, sometimes getting settings from another song's treatment of the same instrument -- that type of thing).

So .. for the first example (importing from earlier version of same session) with only "plugin assignments" and "plugin settings and automation" selected, it just doesn't get'em. Some days it works .. but many times not. In those cases where it doesn't the only way I can make it work is to let it make a new track and drag the inserts over.

Definitely not consistent, or confidence-inspiring.

-dave