Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Default Re: New Apple Mac mini?

dont recommend a 2013 macpro to anyone and we are good.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Oh my, what a waste.

If you can open those TB3 cases, rip out those old drives and put some SSDs in there or even better, some NVME drives. You’ll see such a HUGE difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what benefit? I'm not having any reading or writing issues?

I got 2-6 TB hard drives for 350 each. How much would 12 TB cost in SSD and what would I gain?
Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzldzl View Post
For what benefit? I'm not having any reading or writing issues?

I got 2-6 TB hard drives for 350 each. How much would 12 TB cost in SSD and what would I gain?
Loading presets from your sample libraries will be sped up greatly. Once they are loaded in RAM it won't matter, but when you flick through presets, that is pulling them in from the HDD. Loading them from flash storage will be MUCH quicker.

Depending on how large your projects are (track count etc.) you may benefit from the faster read/write speeds as well. Not to mention if you transfer data to and from these devices, doing so on SSDs is MUCH quicker. Soooo much faster.

You're right in that cost will be a fair bit more, but then again, that TB3 enclosure would have set you back a pretty penny. You could have just used a USB3 enclosure which still gives you magnitudes more transfer speed than those 7200RPM drives work at. Those drives are not making use of the TB3 bandwidth at all.

Last but not least, noise. If you have an engine room, this won't concern you, but if you have the drives in close proximity, the spinning hard drives put out a fair bit of noise. Flash storage is dead silent. I can literally hear a pin drop in my studio.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Mods in here are really snippy. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Loading presets from your sample libraries will be sped up greatly. Once they are loaded in RAM it won't matter, but when you flick through presets, that is pulling them in from the HDD. Loading them from flash storage will be MUCH quicker.

Depending on how large your projects are (track count etc.) you may benefit from the faster read/write speeds as well. Not to mention if you transfer data to and from these devices, doing so on SSDs is MUCH quicker. Soooo much faster.

You're right in that cost will be a fair bit more, but then again, that TB3 enclosure would have set you back a pretty penny. You could have just used a USB3 enclosure which still gives you magnitudes more transfer speed than those 7200RPM drives work at. Those drives are not making use of the TB3 bandwidth at all.

Last but not least, noise. If you have an engine room, this won't concern you, but if you have the drives in close proximity, the spinning hard drives put out a fair bit of noise. Flash storage is dead silent. I can literally hear a pin drop in my studio.

Thanks, I could see that being a benefit but can't justify the price bump. My Thunderbolt 3 enclosure is for HDX and UAD. The drives are just external TB3 drives from Lacie. It's not as fast as SSD but up to 240MB/s transfers do it quick enough.

https://www.lacie.com/products/d2/
Old 05-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Even if CPU performance is not so much of a gamechanger, graphics performance is on another planet compared to cheesegrater (especially if you run two or more displays).
Not true as you can easily upgrade the cheese grader graphics and smoke the 2013s aging graphics. I run three displays on my 2009 upgraded 5,1 12 core mac pro with a flashed 980ti and can add a forth if wanted. You can upgrade the 5,1 mac pros graphics all the way up to the latest AMD V11 if running Mojave and you can use a Nvidia 1080ti with proper power connections but are limited to High Sierra as there are no drivers for Mojave. The mac mini has crap graphics but you can do an egpu if running Mojave but only AMD and I really hope Apple changes this limitation when they release the 2019 Mac Pro.
Here are some benchmarks of the mac pro using the latest GPUs.
https://barefeats.com/radeon-vii-vs-gtx-1080ti.html
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Mods in here are really snippy. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nope, not all Mods, just JFreak.........
Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 PM

He’s fine. He just has an outdated opinion on computers.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
He’s fine. He just has an outdated opinion on computers.
Sure. Of course my first computer only had 64kB of memory so what do I know about hardware...
Old 05-30-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
dont recommend a 2013 macpro to anyone and we are good.
To each their own, but I love mine...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...