Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Future of icon?

No worries! :) I was busy mixing on my dusty old HD3 with *gasp* a Control 24! Both will be put out to pasture soon, now to figure out HDX or HD Native!

MKD Creative
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

It's getting harder to choose with the new input buffer it will help even for native users that don't have the cards (HDX or HDN) but if your sessions are very heavy, and you need more imputs, then HDX will still be for you.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM

I have a mirrored CPU with HD native in my second room. I will bumpy that up to 11 ASAP and do some real testing. Haven't had any issues this far with HD native on 9 and 10

MKD Creative
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Future of ICON - nice signs I've seen in the last couple weeks. Not only is support continued in PTv11, Avid featured the DCONTROL in the PT11 demo. I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected a to see a System 5MC. I'm sure keeping icon in the major build of PT11 bodes well for support for a few coming years.

Also - I enjoyed seeing the DCONTROL showing up the last few weeks in the American Idol tracking sessions during the show back stories with Jimmy Iovine. I still see it as the flagship of surfaces.

Last edited by AINSLIE; 04-10-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM

I do wish Avid would add basic Eucon support - transport and faders would be enough to keep me happy.

A big one would be to have the edit window show the same tracks that are visible on the Icon. As it is, the edit window does whatever it wants, unrelated to the Icon's view.

Best...H
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM

That is a legacy problem I am glad I never have to worry about.

How about a basic system like a D Command but instead of D command or D Control or C24

We get a basic well featured centre section and transport as stock but have the ability to add the higher end ICON quality faders and expanded centre section.

Make 1 surface. extra centre with keyboard and extras. Two or three fader qualities possibilities , D Control D Command C24.
MODULAR .

Dont make three separate products. Make 1 great product and let us custom fit what we need. That way instead of me plunking down $10,000 on a C24 then Im out for the next 10 years no more money coming from me.
Sell us the dream of , If I only had the the expanded centre section and maybe expand my fader packs to 56 channels my work flow would be improved.

As it is now they sell us something and and say THANK YOU COME AGAIN (in ten years) MODULAR please I might want more or better higherend faders , panning sticks , monitor sections , keyboards , touch screens , expanded transport control.

The possibilities for generating income are boundless and always never ending.
But as the way things are now its a one shot sale wam bam thank you mam.
But no possibillity for future growth (C24) or even future income for AVID .
Give us a independent operating system for the console so you can sell us the future proof dream and let me max out my C24 to 80 channels with every possible extra toy . Then sell us the on the advertising if only I had the ICON faders I wouldn't suck strategy. And this would save alot of money on design engineering and factory tooling .
THINK GENERAL MOTORS 1 car many optons 1 design and SAVE $$$$$
For the low low price of your very soul
Now you can have that FERRARI to

AVID , BOTTOM LINE
YOUR CUSTOMERS HAVE MONEY THEY WANT TO SPEND
BUT YOU WONT LET THEM

MODULAR thats how profits GROW
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P,B,S View Post

How about a basic system like a D Command but instead of D command or D Control or C24

We get a basic well featured centre section and transport as stock but have the ability to add the higher end ICON quality faders and expanded centre section.

Make 1 surface. extra centre with keyboard and extras. Two or three fader qualities possibilities , D Control D Command C24.
MODULAR .

Dont make three separate products. Make 1 great product and let us custom fit what we need. That way instead of me plunking down $10,000 on a C24 then Im out for the next 10 years no more money coming from me.
Sell us the dream of , If I only had the the expanded centre section and maybe expand my fader packs to 56 channels my work flow would be improved.

As it is now they sell us something and and say THANK YOU COME AGAIN (in ten years) MODULAR please I might want more or better higherend faders , panning sticks , monitor sections , keyboards , touch screens , expanded transport control.

Give us a independent operating system for the console so you can sell us the future proof dream and let me max out my C24 to 80 channels with every possible extra toy . Then sell us the on the advertising if only I had the ICON faders I wouldn't suck strategy. And this would save alot of money on design engineering and factory tooling .

AVID , BOTTOM LINE
BUT YOU WONT LET THEM

They basically already have what you're talking about in the System5 MC:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/System-5MC

and the System 5MC Pro:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/MC-Pro

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P,B,S View Post

MODULAR .

AVID , BOTTOM LINE
BUT YOU WONT LET THEM

I'm sorry if I'm not getting your idea pictured in my head properly.. It's 7 am after all, but isn't that what the D-control is? Modular? You can buy the center section and then add fader packs as you see fit.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I'm sorry if I'm not getting your idea pictured in my head properly.. It's 7 am after all, but isn't that what the D-control is? Modular? You can buy the center section and then add fader packs as you see fit.
I think what he wants is not only to be able to add fader packs but also to be able to have a basic center section swappable for a fuller-featured center section. The D-Control can have the surround panners added at a later date but that's about it.

What he's asking for is akin to what Radial Engineering did for their version of a 500 series rack where you can have the basic rack and add the 8 channel mixer option later, etc.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM

AH I see, thanks for the explanation.

Wave-T.com