Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Default Distorted sound from new Mbox Pro 3rd gen

Hi, this is my first time posting here because I've always been able to troubleshoot these things on my own without much difficulty, but after weeks of fruitless research and experimentation I'm finally stumped.

I'm running:
MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
Mbox Pro 3rd gen with Pro Tools 11

Both the computer and Mbox are new and the Pro Tools is updated to 11.3, the Mbox updated to latest (1.3.2) Drivers.

Since day one, the Mbox barely puts out a signal and the signal that it does put out sounds fuzzy and sort of bitcrushed. This happens regardless of signal source (inputs on mbox or audio from computer). The results are also the same on all headphone and monitor outputs.

One notable factor is that the new Macbooks don't have a firewire connection so I'm having to use thunderbolt adapter to connect the Mbox. I initially suspected that this was the problem until I went online and it seems that many people are doing the same thing without issues.

Any advice would be infinitely appreciated. I tried to keep this brief and concise so hopefully there's enough info here. Please let me know if theres any more details/clarifications I should provide.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kamikaze Funtime; 01-28-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Distorted sound from new Mbox Pro 3rd gen

(update)
Well, I tried the unit on my older Macbook (with a firewire port) and the results were the same so it looks like it's defective gear. After a long run of many faithful years, it looks like avid's quality standards are lowering so they have lost me as customer. Robbing artists of their valued time and money is truly a disgraceful line of business.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Distorted sound from new Mbox Pro 3rd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze Funtime View Post
(update)
Well, I tried the unit on my older Macbook (with a firewire port) and the results were the same so it looks like it's defective gear. After a long run of many faithful years, it looks like avid's quality standards are lowering so they have lost me as customer. Robbing artists of their valued time and money is truly a disgraceful line of business.
Err, no company makes perfect products with no failures. It's new, under warranty, get it replaced. Simple. It's not like they're refusing to replace it.