Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 06-14-2018, 03:55 AM

Default Connect an external effect rack into MBox 3 Pro

Hi Everyone,

I am doeuch, from Paris, France.

I am working on an MbookPro under OS Yosemite with a Mbox 3 pro, PT 12 and I want to connect an external rack, a TC helicon Voice Live Rack but I can't figure it out how.

I want to use it as an Aux (I don't want to record directly into the Voice Live Rack). Therefore, I am a bit confused on how connecting everything.

What I've done so far :

1) Connect the 3 and 4 monitors out (Y cable : Double TS into 1 TRS) into the Line in of the Voice Lve Rack (1 TRS). I then set up in PT the outputs of the bus I want to send to the Voice Live rack as "Analog 3/4"
2) Connect with 2 XLR cables the outputs of the Voice live Rack into 3/4 mic in at the rear of the MBOX Pro.
3) I add an stereo Aux track with inputs "Analogs 3/4".

That's how I connect everything but i must have been mistaken somewhere as I can only hear a noise, I cant hear the original track and can't hear any effect.

Can somebody help on this? I'm sure this must be really easy for you guys but as this is the first time I try to connect an external hardware to the MBP3 and I am not familiar with technics...

Thanks a lot to the community.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Connect an external effect rack into MBox 3 Pro

Pretty sure Step #1 is where you are incorrect. IIRC, the TC is a mono-in device so feed a single TRS cable from a LINE OUTPUT of the Mbox(3 or 4, not both) into the TRS input of the TC. Route a send to that output, or set the track you want to treat to that output. Now feed the 2 outputs of the TC to 2 inputs on the Mbox that are used as the input for your stereo AUX track.

Having said that(and hopefully it will now be working), at some point you will want to print the processed signal, so, instead of a stereo AUX track, maybe use a stereo AUDIO track and put it in Input-only mode(the green box with the I). That will act like an AUX track, but when you are happy with the TC settings, just pop it into record to print the audio(and use the original track as a guide so you can nudge the new audio into perfect alignment on the timeline)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-28-2018, 02:28 AM

Default Connect an external effect rack into MBox 3 Pro

Hello everyone,

My Set-up : Running PT 12.0.0 on MacBook pro under Yosemite 10.10.5.

Now my question : Can I connect an external effect rack (Voice LIve Rack in my case) to the MBox Pro 3? I would like to connect it to do some post prod mixing, so I want to record into the Mbox. Then, I want to send the track to the external effect and then, coming back to the Mbox so I can play with effects.

I can't figure it how and starting to think, no you can't.

What I tried :
Connecting Hardware :
1 : Connecting a single Stereo TRS into "monitoring outputs 3" on the back of the MboxPro going to Voice LIve Rack with an XLR.
2 : Connecting 2 XLR "Outputs" of the Voice Live Rack into Mic In 3 and 4 on the back of the Mbox Pro

I'm sure I have something wrong already. Let me know please!

Then in PT :

1) My track "Vocal" with my voice on it. I assign outputs to a Aux track called "Vox".
2) I assign this "Vox" Aux track outputs to "Analog 3 » so signal goes to Voice Live Rack (even when I do Analog 3/4 it doesn't work but I know I would be missing a cable)
3) I tried set up a New Audio Mono track and a New Audio Stereo track with inputs to « Analog 3 » and Analog 3/4 on the stereo one.

Nothing comes out while running the song…

So I know there are plenty of errors here, just a newbie wanting some help and explanations. Once, everything here will be fine connected and set up, if nothing goes out, I know that I will have to look close to the Voice Live Rack.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 AM

Thanks a lot Albee.

Don't know why but could find my post on the list until today... So I just read you reply. I'll try that this afternoon and post a comment. If then it still doesn't work I look closely the Voice Live Rack.

Thanks again !
Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 AM

Ok, Thanks to you Albee, I'm getting really close.

So I connected a TRS mono to the output 3 of the MBox Pro to Line In on the VOice Live Rack.
Then 2 XLR outputs on the Voice Live Rack to XLR in 3/4 in on the back of MBox. (I want to try seting up it as an insert with only the mono 3 in on the Mbox, or via a new Audio track like you said)

I set up in I/O window, Tab "Inserts", I renamed the analog 3 "Voice Live Rack"

Now, on my track with vocals, I add an insert, the Voice Live Rack insert and what's weird now, is that when I set up on the Voice Live Rack "Outputs as Stereo", I can hear effects on my track but still with a weird noise on the back, like FM radio noise...
And when I setup the outputs as Mono on voice LIve Rack, I hear my plain voice without any effect and still with this weird FM noise but much lower…

I though that with insert you had to use only the same in and outs, so out mono 3, and in Mono 3. Where am I mistaken?

2nd way with an new audio track :
Well, it’s easier : I can’t even set up the analog 3 out of the Mbox pro. It’s greyed out when I put it on my Vocal track. I can’t figure it why… Went to I/O window and can’t understand what’s wrong…

Thanks a lot for your help guys !
Old 07-09-2018, 01:51 AM

Help !
Has someone around here has a clue on what's happing to me ?
I would really thankful !

Thanks a lot for your help ....
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 AM

You are correct that a hardware insert needs use matching IO. This means that you must run the TC in mono. Using output 3 and input 3 is logical but you need to configure the insert path in the IO Setup page>Insert tab.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave