Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Default What is the difference between Mono & Stereo?

Hey everyone,

pretty simple one here for you...

What is the difference between using a mono and stereo track? Is it something to do with what speakers the sound comes out?

I'm new to Pro Tools 8 and have been recording my guitar in a mono audio track. Everything sounds fine. But i'm wondering what effect stereo gives?

What do most professional producers use when recording music for big artists? Stereo?

Before recording my songs, I want to know how to get the bestest quality as possible.

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Default Re: What is the difference between Mono & Stereo?

mono = one
stereo (so such thing according to some) = two
really stereo is no more than a group of 2 mono tracks,
it makes the management of some things easier like: drum overheads, piano, group vocals
but I know guys that don't like them do to the lack of individual level control

your final mix should be to a stereo track

clear as mud?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM

This may help...

When recording a single (mono) input, there isn't a need for a stereo track. Recording a mono input to a stereo track will sound exactly the same as a mono track, and can be panned the same.

Stereo tracks are only needed for recording instruments with stereo outputs, for micing in stereo, or for stereo effects..all of which will create movement or space in the mix. You can send a mono track to a stereo effect to give it a different spacial sound. If you have a single guitar track that you want to sound bigger or like it's in a larger room, you can bus that track to a stereo reverb effect. To hear the difference it make with the effect track being stereo pan both sides of the reverb effect to the center @ 0. Then spread the pan wide again and listen to how it spreads out and provides "space".

Another fun thing to try...

With a single (mono) input, record a few bars of anything. Then go back and record the same thing again with the same timing so that you create an exact double.
Listen to both of the mono tracks panned straight up the middle @ 0. Then pan each one hard L or R, but keep them opposite each other. When listening to them "mono" or straight up the middle, they sound more like one instrument and in one spot in the mix. When panned to opposite sides, you create separation and space in the mix.

Whenever you have over 100 tracks of different instruments and you need to find a space for each of them, this is when stereo mixing is vital. That's why mix engineers make the big bucks...supposedly :)
In mono, you should still hear everything, you just lose some imaging of where things are perceived to be in the "room" or the mix.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM

I think the others have covered stereo versus mono

With the increased track count in 8.0 I would suggest that you not record to a stereo track, so you have 100% independent control over each recorded track(s)- unless you think you may exceed the max track count tracks (and then you can always bounce down to sub-mixes and import back into the session ... and you can bounce to an interleaved Stereo L/R, a separate L and R, or a summed mono

Master faders and aux bus I would tend to use more as stereo tracks (but not exclusively) and it will depend on what you're sending to them

If I'm off-base on this feel free to jump in a straighten me out!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Whenever you have over 100 tracks of different instruments and you need to find a space for each of them, this is when stereo mixing is vital
That is actually a good reason not to use too many stereo sources. If you have a bunch of synth tracks and they are all recorded in "stereo", then there is an inclination to just leave them panned hard left and right. If you have a mono synth track, then you can place it where you want in the stereo field, and apply your own effects if you want that sound to be "stereo"..
Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM

1 more POV:
"Recording a mono input to a stereo track will sound exactly the same..."
not exactly. Many newbies try to record a mono signal(like a vocal mic) to a stereo track and are confused to see that they only get signal on one side. This is because a stereo track expects a stereo(2 channel) input. Don't confuse a "stereo" track with the "stereo field" of your final "stereo" mix.

I agree and use mono tracks for most sources(vocals, guitars, bass, etc). Some stereo sources include keyboards and Leslie speaker(top rotor). Now you CAN choose to record other sources in stereo as you may mic a choir with 2 mics. You may also have a guitar amp setup that runs in stereo. Both those sources can sound killer if you record in M/S(a technique using a cardioid and a figure 8 (2 mics) and decoded, which recreates a stereo source amazingly well), but I would save this trick for later on after your skills advance.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 AM

Here's a good example for you:

1) MONO track - plug in an acoustic guitar with a guitar cable into input 1

2) STEREO track - plug in an acoustic guitar with a guitar cable into input 1 and plug in a microphone into input 2 and point the mic at the sound hole in the acoustic guitar. Or plug in two mics and put them in two different places to record the acoustic guitar.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Here's a good example for you:

1) MONO track - plug in an acoustic guitar with a guitar cable into input 1

2) STEREO track - plug in an acoustic guitar with a guitar cable into input 1 and plug in a microphone into input 2 and point the mic at the sound hole in the acoustic guitar. Or plug in two mics and put them in two different places to record the acoustic guitar.
This is a good analogy, but you would really want to record this acoustic to 2 mono tracks so you can EQ them separately. Also, when recording a DI and mic on the same instrument, often the mix will sound better if the DI audio is nudged later so it lines up perfectly with the mic track(same with kick drum inside and outside mics or bass with DI and a mic on the amp). You could then pan the 2 signals as you like to create a stereo image, or not.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all your answers guys! I have much more of an idea what to use now. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattitude View Post
Thanks for all your answers guys! I have much more of an idea what to use now. Thanks!
First 4 Beatles records - Mixed in Mono...
Same signal both sides. Monophonic - meaning "one".
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here: