Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Help with MBox and XP

EDIT : NVM I am an idiot. I was turning the headphone output and not the playback. lol. been a while since i used it.. However i now have new problem..

I want to use my MBox as the defaul sound for playack on my PC.

When I play back a song say in itunes on my PC, the sound is all stuttery. its really bad! I do not understand why??? SOunds all glitchy and stuttery. Its unlistenable. Help much appreciate!

Mbox
WIN XP SP 2
AMD 1.2
368 ram
Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Help with MBox and XP

Quote:
When I play back a song say in itunes on my PC, the sound is all stuttery. its really bad! I do not understand why??? SOunds all glitchy and stuttery. Its unlistenable. Help much appreciate!
This is because of a conflict with the wavedriver and the current version of Quicktime.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Ok. How can I fix??
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Ok. How can I fix??
Old 08-02-2007, 03:35 PM

You have two options; you can try an older version of Quicktime (has worked for some) or you can pitch a fit to Apple (or Digidesign, depending on which company you blame) to fix it until you are blue in the face.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Ah I see. Well Ok, for the mean time I have just uninstalled Quicktime/iTunes. SO I got my music playing back in winamp now after installign etc. However I now have another problem. When I play a computer game there is no sound. SO I ran dxdiag and it does not find the Mbox? Only see's the PCI soundcard which I am not using.

Help much appreciated!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 AM

You will need to add your game, and whatever other programs it uses for sound creation, to the wavedriver opt-in list using the MMEHelper.

Why do you want to use your mbox to play games?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Ah I see. Well Ok, for the mean time I have just uninstalled Quicktime/iTunes. SO I got my music playing back in winamp now after installign etc. However I now have another problem. When I play a computer game there is no sound. SO I ran dxdiag and it does not find the Mbox? Only see's the PCI soundcard which I am not using.

Help much appreciated!
I just posted on another thread on a similar subject so I thought I'd paste my post here as it seems appropriate:

Let's clarify this: The Digidesign interfaces are designed as recording and mixing devices and not intended as consummer sound cards. Stop expecting it to be. Someone was nice enough to write a wav driver FOR FREE. It works with some applications but NOT all. If iTunes or other incompatible applications are essential for people, don't use the Digidesign interface to play it. Use a standard consumer sound card.

Analogy time again: It is as if someone bought an airplane (designed to fly to its destination). The manufacturer thought it would be convienient to include wheels so the airplance can taxi to and from the terminals. The purchaser decides that since it has wheels, he'd like to drive the airplane on roadways. On some highways, perhaps the airplane can indeed be driven. There are some roads however that don't work for the airplane however. Should the purchaser complain to the airplane manufactured that their airplane doesn't work on these roads? Should the purchaser complain to the road builder that it doesn't work for his airplane?

The point is to get the right product for each function.
Airplane = Flying
Car = Roads
Protools = Digidesign Interface
iTunes = consummer sound card

You may total disagree and ignore my opinion on this and continue to try to make iTunes work with your Digidesign interface. It doesn't affect me one way of another. in fact, I wish you "good luck." You can try the MME Helper utility along with the wav driver to see if that helps.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3