Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Default MIDI notes disappearing when switching MIDI track from sample- to tick-based

Is anyone else experiencing this in Protools 12.7 HD?

MIDI notes disappear when switching MIDI track from sample- to tick-based. I made a screen recording, but I'm not sure how I can attach it here. I'll try to add screenshots instead.

I am really beginning to wonder whether Protools is actually being used by anyone to do MIDI work like arranging and composing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_sample.jpg (56.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2_tick.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Re: MIDI notes disappearing when switching MIDI track from sample- to tick-based

'Fraid this is nothing new, it's been doing this for years.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Re: MIDI notes disappearing when switching MIDI track from sample- to tick-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
'Fraid this is nothing new, it's been doing this for years.
Are you serious? Then why has no-one reported it before? Why isn't it listed in the known bugs list Avid releases with every update of Protools?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Might be one of those Maths rounding things - MIDI ticks not as accurate as samples maybe? I've never reported it as I assumed everyone else was happy with this shoddiness.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM

I'm guessing you're on a Mac? I've had MIDI issues both with 12.5, and also with 12.4 after I reverted - but never this particular one.

Windows 10

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@ZooWest View Post
I'm guessing you're on a Mac?
Indeed, I'm on Mac Pro, running Mac OS X Sierra. Do you think it's something Mac related? Should we blame Apple instead of Avid?

I have reported around 15 MIDI-related bugs in the last 1.5 months. Many of these MIDI bugs have been around for much longer (possibly even in version 11) but in December they really seemed to start piling up and we couldn't take it anymore. It was impossible to get any MIDI-related work done. The situation right now is that we've chosen to revert back to Logic for doing the songwriting and arranging sessions. Protools has become plain unusable in this respect. We're also not sure where going to renew our support plan, because it's basically worthless if they don't really seem to care about these MIDI issues. But we do.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

As a short update, this is currently being investigated by Andy Baker from Avid customer support under case number 005927373 for anyone needing a reference for their own bug reports.

He promised me an update soon and I'll get back here when I receive more information!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Wonder if it's related to this bug:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...-1/257442-3779

See the comment for more details.