Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 12:52 AM

Default Meters

When doing mixes, I am curious to know what meters you prefer to use. Do you rely at all on the PT meters? Which of the PT meter options do you prefer? What meter plugins? Up til now I've relied mostly on the Waves meter plugin and one from IK Multi-media T-Racks. I've also looked at the Melda Loudness Analyzer. I'm just wondering what meters you all might prefer on the master bus?

Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Meters

I used to religiously use Waves Dorrough on the master, but now I just set it up to K14 and be done with it. Regular tracks are Venue Peak
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I used to religiously use Waves Dorrough on the master, but now I just set it up to K14 and be done with it. Regular tracks are Venue Peak
I use a TC Clarity M. It's kind of nice to have something that's always there. Mostly I use it as via a plugin but I also have it fed by AES pre-fader from my monitor controller (MTRX).
Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM

I ALWAYS mix to analog (or virtual analog) VU type meters set to my desired reference level.

I've used the PSP TripleMeter in the past but the Waves VU is currently my favorite.

I also use the Waves Level Meter Plus for hitting exact LKFS delivery specs but the VU is still my main point of reference.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
now I just set it up to K14 and be done with it.
Same here. I also use Waves WLM plus as the last insert of the master especially for the true peak limiter. Regular tracks are default
Old 04-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Metering in Pro Tools still seems a bit of mystery to me. I personally like to use the Waves VU meter. It defaults to -18dbfs, so a -18db reference tone in PT will default to 0 db on VU meter. Of course it can be adjusted.

In this tutorial from Kenny Gioia, he shows how we can adjust the Pro Tool reference level to gain more headroom. Of course, you'd have to adjust the VU meter accordingly. But he seems to be speaking about levels coming in to PT from outboard analog gear. He doesn't discuss anything related to VI's, for example.

So, I'm wondering a couple things: 1) do any of you set a different reference level for PT other than the default (which is, I believe -18)? 2)Do you adjust the meter color ranges like Kenny shows in the video? 3) Is there an "ideal" reference level?

I have to agree with Kenny that it often feels to me that even with VI's, it feels that everything is running a bit too hot, but before I change anything, I'd like to hear from some of you guys out there on this.

Also, which of the now MANY PT meter options do you prefer to use. In the video, Kenny is using the PT Classic meter. I have normally used the PT RMS setting, but I'm not sure that's the best option either.

Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2023, 02:06 PM

What happened?!

No replies..

I’m interested in this too.