Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Default PT11HD software only now/HD hardware LATER?

Wondering if AVID is going to offer some hardware discount for users that make the software ONLY upgrade (CPTK etc) to PT11/PT10 if/when they eventually decide to add hardware (Native OR HDX) to their software? It's seems unfair that they would be forced to pay full price and get a SECOND PT11 license of no use.

Anyone heard grumblings of this? Makse sense that they would do this no?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Default Re: PT11HD software only now/HD hardware LATER?

you can't upgrade to 11 software with a non HDX or HD native rig. blue (TDM) interfaces no longer supported past 10. (64 bit hardware issue i believe, from what i understand they just won't work anymore.)

you'll get 11HD included when you upgrade your hardware.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM

blue interfaces should work but not supported, same goes for Control 24.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
blue interfaces should work but not supported, same goes for Control 24.
Doesn't really matter, since you need a card to connect the interface TO and you can't buy a card without an new interface.

Is there a converter cable that connects the blue interface to the expansion port on an OMNI or HD I/O?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Yes, you get a Digilink to Mini-Digilink adapter in the box of any of the new HD interfaces (also in the box of an HD Native card).
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM

the mini digilink to old digilink adaptors are a moot point as well: the TDM cards won't be able to run the new audio engine from what i understand. (DAE is dead in a month... AAE is replacing it in 11.) bye-bye RTAS, bye-bye TDM.

the TDM cards and interfaces will be stuck @ PT10.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Wondering if AVID is going to offer some hardware discount for users that make the software ONLY upgrade (CPTK etc) to PT11/PT10 if/when they eventually decide to add hardware (Native OR HDX) to their software? It's seems unfair that they would be forced to pay full price and get a SECOND PT11 license of no use.

Anyone heard grumblings of this? Makse sense that they would do this no?
Dont quote me on this but

What I think will happen is instead of PT and CPTK you buy HDsoftware instead.
But it will only run in native mode. Same way it can now for us HD users.
BUT
If for some reason you are able to luck into a HDN or HDX card I am speculating the software will still not work because you are not technically buying HD software license.
So im guessing there will be a extra licence now.
PT
PTHD
and
PT HD run natively.
But im guessing you will not have autorization to use it with HD hardware.
I could be completely wrong about this because I really am just speculating here.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM

PBS,

HD hardware currently does not work if there's only a regular Protools license. I don't expect that to change. Although someone said that HD Native worked when it saw a CPTK license. But it definitely won't work with a regular PT license.

And having a card installed with no HD interface hooked up does nothing at all and will not even be recognized (Protools forces you to choose another option).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Sound_Music,

I believe the person referring to the Digilink adapters may have been referring to using the old blue HD interfaces with HD Native or HDX, which may very well work in PT11. So the adapters could still come in handy.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
PBS,

HD hardware currently does not work if there's only a regular Protools license. I don't expect that to change. Although someone said that HD Native worked when it saw a CPTK license. But it definitely won't work with a regular PT license.

And having a card installed with no HD interface hooked up does nothing at all and will not even be recognized (Protools forces you to choose another option).
I am well aware of all of that. I think you missed the point of my comments.

Your correct PT HD hardware will not run regular PT software. (but I believe you could use core audio or aiso drivers to get 8in out to regular PT.)

What I ment is.
With real HD HDX TDM (sorry native users) you can select a different audio input output from mac preffs and PT will open and say PTHD but it is really just PT and CPTK.
There really isnt much difference between HDN and CPTK except you get the improved latency and the ability to use HD interfaces.
But its really almost the same things, all the same features functionally and almost the same specs with them.
Same voice, track count and video as native just no HD interfaces or improved latency
There are a few differences though. But those are the specs that matter to most users