Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Group Clip Gain Manual Adjusting??

Hi everyone! Going to give as much info as possible and hope this all makes sense. The short, short version is that I'm wondering if there's a way to manually adjust clip gain on multiple tracks at once. I feel like I've seen it once before and have tried everything to no avail.

So I work a lot in post-production, where the sequences I get from editors have multiple mics/sources synced in the timeline. I always give a level pass manually, via clip gain, I either use the pencil or multi tool to adjust the gain as needed, but when there are multiple tracks/mics from a scene that I'd like to equally manually/adjust the gain, I can only do so one track at a time. When I have tracks grouped, I can highlight and drag chunks in the highlighed region on all tracks in that group up/down. But I can't draw via the pencil, or a Option+Click w/ the multi tool, it always only edits the one track I have the pencil on. I try to avoid track/bus volume automation because I'll use that for overall levels, but sometimes in a dialog sequence when a speaker goes back/forth talking quiet, then projects, then quiet, etc, it's easier for me to adjust the clip gain manually and see the results via the waveform height. Kind of a manual compression/dynamic range adjustment.

I've checked the DUC for anything similar to this, and haven't seen anything. I've scoured the preferences and the global group settings but no luck.

Unfortunately I'm typing this as I don't have my HD with sessions I could take screenshots for reference. I'll follow up in the morning with a screenshot or two, but I was wondering if anyone ran into this issue, or how many people out there heavily rely on manual clip gain automation/adjustments like me.

To reiterate, I know I can adjust clip gain when you highlight tracks in a group and move that section up/down, but if I want to use the pencil tool, and manually shape how the clip gain line looks, it only lets me do so on a single track and not multiple tracks at once.

Thanks for your time, happy to provide more information!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Group Clip Gain Manual Adjusting??

While I haven't been able to do what it is you want here, I can think of two methods that will help.

Assumption I'm making (that may be incorrect but is necessary to most easily describe these two methods): there is an "upper track" where you do the clip gain moves, and you wish all lower tracks to match these moves

Your preliminary options:

(Method 1) if all the clips in a given edit vertically have the same bounds (say, over five tracks with same timecodes in and out points, as you would see in a multi-mic set-up), it is easy to select the clip with the clip gain moves, ctrl+shift+c to copy the clip gain, then move down each track, one at a time using the letter L, and type "V" to paste the clip gain to each clip in the lower tracks.

(Method 2) This may be Pro Tools Ultimate only: if at this stage you are only doing clip gain moves (and no volume automation), you can select the entire length of "upper track" clips, then "Edit>Automation>Convert clip gain to volume automation", then from the volume automation view, select and copy the newly-created volume automation to all lower tracks. Then, select ALL clips from upper track through lowest track, then "Edit>Automation>Convert volume automation to clip gain". Then all clips will have the same clip gain moves.

Caveat to (method 1):

Once you start trying this method out (the ctrl+shift+c method), you'll "learn the rules" of it. For example, if some lower-track clips have edits or separations within the full length of the upper-track clip, the clip gain won't paste to all clips, but only the first one (I think: not in front of it right now). There are other "rules" as well but once you get the logic you can work with them.

Caveat to (method 2):

If you HAVE done volume automation in addition to clip gain moves, then you may want to use "COALESCE clip gain to volume automation," which will COMBINE the clip gain with those volume automation moves and THEN print them on the volume automation lane.

There are other possibilities that follow from these starting points, but better to figure out what works best for you and is most efficient and comfortable.

And apologies if I got some of the menu path or wording wrong -- again not in front of it at the moment.

>> I know this isn't precisely what you asked for, but might get you what you want with the least amount of additional time.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits

Last edited by gwhatley; 01-27-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling, auto-correct and clarity
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 PM

Hey Garrad, this is great I appreciate it! I feel like I'm crazy and saw what I was describing once before in the past 6 months on a machine and haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm going to play around with these options and if anything helps me out. I'm attaching a screenshot to see if it helps better visually shows what i'm talking about in terms of matching incremental/manual clip gain!

Old 01-28-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesplayfood View Post
Hey Garrad, this is great I appreciate it! I feel like I'm crazy and saw what I was describing once before in the past 6 months on a machine and haven't been able to replicate it since. I'm going to play around with these options and if anything helps me out. I'm attaching a screenshot to see if it helps better visually shows what i'm talking about in terms of matching incremental/manual clip gain!

This is definitely what I pictured when you first described it. I believe these two methods are probably your best way to accomplish what you want with the least amount of additional time - just not the way you WANT it to happen!

In any such situation, you have two choices:

(1) come up with a way to get what you want, or at least as close as possible

(2) gripe and complain

Of course, option (3) would be: BOTH!

Best of luck. I guess the "positive /proactive" version of "gripe and complain" is to make a request of Avid support for the very feature you're wanting here.

Thanks,

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 01-29-2020, 10:29 AM

If you create a clip group, all tracks will be drawn at once. Of course, clip group gain disappears if you ungroup. Since the clips need to remain synced, that may not be a problem. But in the event that it is, you can render the clip gain. Probably best to do that on a dup playlist.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
If you create a clip group, all tracks will be drawn at once. Of course, clip group gain disappears if you ungroup. Since the clips need to remain synced, that may not be a problem. But in the event that it is, you can render the clip gain. Probably best to do that on a dup playlist.
Good idea - and you're right to include the warning about "ungrouping"! In the middle of a busy session, one accidental or thoughtless ungrouping that you only recognize 10 minutes later will frustratingly cause a lot of work to need to be redone.

I haven't tried it myself, but if the the clip gain render really does apply to the clips themselves and not just the clip group "cluster", this could work well if you take a careful approach.

If you keep a strict, disciplined workflow of clip group + clip gain moves + clip gain render + ungroup (is that final ungroup necessary, or does the render ungroup them?) before getting into other mixing, then you're set. One wrong move could set you back, but this would be a pretty quick solution as well!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits