Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-08-2002, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Genelec 1030s\' vs Mackie 824s\' (opinions)?

I agree with all of the above. I have 1030's with a 1092 sub in two rooms, and 1030's with a Blue Sky sub in a third room. After auditioning almost every powered speaker in the same price range, I have stuck with the Genelecs. The Mackies sounded blurry at the crossover and mushy/hyped in the low end. It's all personal taste though. Maybe try the Blue Sky setup, or the new smaller Mackie+sub setup, or the Tannoy powered Reveal speakers (they sounded good in the store for what it's worth). I had to tweak the crossover in the Blue Sky sub to match my 1030's, but they were extremely helpful, providing schematics and component value recomendations to get the HPF curve I was after. That kind of service says a lot to me.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:00 PM

Greiner, can you elaborate a bit on the Blue Sky's? How do your mixes translate from them and is ear fatigue a factor? I really liked them in the store but thought they might be a bit too bright.

thanks

Steven
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 05-08-2002, 03:31 PM

I own a pair of the Mackie HR824's... before I bought them about a year ago I a/b'd them with the Gene's in a flatly tuned room. Both of them sounded great! Of course they have their own sonic signatures, but i found the HR824's to be more detailed and clearer in many cases, although it has a tendency to present more hi-freq presence than what's actually there...

The Gene's just sound a little tooooo well... good... Mixes just tend to sound tooo good, and cover up a lot of blemishes in the lower end. It sounds good when listening through them but I just had trouble making mixes translate well with them.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:36 PM

Genes hands down, I own Genes and Mackies. The Genes are "Truer, clearer, and easier to make critical decisions. My Gene mixes sounded alot better out of the studio than my Mackie mixes

Good luck

Darren
www.dixondigital.com
Old 05-08-2002, 07:46 PM

Oh come on Darren. You know you really love Auratones.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:19 PM

We had a shoot out the other day:
824: scooped mids, hyped low end.
1031: scooped mids, hyped hi end.
A.D.A.M. SA-3 : Great detail in mids, no hype in either hi or low end that we could hear. SA-3 are now our near fields.

-Mick
Grampa Studios NYC
Old 05-08-2002, 08:42 PM

I did a shoot out like that one myself including the dynaudio BM15A's, my Genelecs 1031's and the ADAM's S3-A.

I would actually get the dynaudio BM15A if I didn't have the 1031's but I ended up selling my genelecs for the S3-A. Compared to the ADAM's the rest seemed....untrue.

peace, syra
Old 05-08-2002, 09:48 PM

heya.. like many other ppl here, i've both the 1030s' and the mackies.

Personally, i find mixes done on the 1030s' seem to translate to other systems very well, there aint much 'lets get back in to the mix to fix it' situations.

Not to rag on the mackies, i find them to be very capable monitors, but the hyped bottom has always presented problems for me. i usually do jazz and rock stuff here, and the bottom end of the mackies arent very flattering to my mixes. sure i could learn and compensate, but mixes off the genalacs allows me to bypass that step. (thou i do still check mixes all around town....)

just my personal experiance with the these monitors...best advise, try to get both into your room and do a shoot out... only you'll know best what works for you in your room.

let us know what you go with in the end yeah? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

There are no carrots in carrot cake.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM

I own the Mackie's, and I to find them sounding "hyped" in the low end. However, I dont think its a problem with the speaker design, I just think they are very accurate down in the lows and most speakers are not. I like this though, as it allows me to actually hear all the high pass filtering I am doing, that way i can zone in on the best place to set it and hear the results distinctively. Most of you would really condemn my studio (its in my bedroom) and its parrallel walls and possible reflections, but somehow my mixes always sound exactly the same on other systems as they do in on my Mackies. I have used at least 3 different models of the Genelecs, and they are very hi-fi. I think both brands we are discussing have issues with where their crossovers are or something, because th mid-range is just very wierd. It works though. I guess the moral is, when you reach the $1000 mark, most nearfields are going to be great, but there will be a learning curve. The Blue Sky's do "look" interesting. I am going to compare those with the Tannoy System 800a's next, and see how it goes. Later, Dan
Old 05-08-2002, 10:22 PM

I own the Mackie's, and I to find them sounding "hyped" in the low end. However, I dont think its a problem with the speaker design, I just think they are very accurate down in the lows and most speakers are not. I like this though, as it allows me to actually hear all the high pass filtering I am doing, that way i can zone in on the best place to set it and hear the results distinctively. Most of you would really condemn my studio (its in my bedroom) and its parrallel walls and possible reflections, but somehow my mixes always sound exactly the same on other systems as they do in on my Mackies. I have used at least 3 different models of the Genelecs, and they are very hi-fi. I think both brands we are discussing have issues with where their crossovers are or something, because th mid-range is just very wierd. It works though. I guess the moral is, when you reach the $1000 mark, most nearfields are going to be great, but there will be a learning curve. The Blue Sky's do "look" interesting. I am going to compare those with the Tannoy System 800a's next, and see how it goes. Later, Dan