Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Default PT Ultimate Perpetual License Renewal - give me a reason...

Well it's that time of year again. I have until Sept. 17 to decide if I'm going to plunk down the outrageous sum of $399 for 1 year of perpetual license renewal. Hoping some of you can help me list the pros and cons.

Pros
1.) In the unlikely event Avid actually updates the product in any meaningful way, aka new features that keep up with the competition, I'll be ready to go until Sept. 17, 2020.
2.) I won't have to pay another god-awful sum of money to re-join later if my perpetual subscription expires, in essence, preserving my costly investment.
3.) I won't fall for the ponzi scheme Avid is trying to pull right now converting my perpetual license into subscription where I essentially give up the right to cancel and continue to use my software, the software I purchased, forever.

Cons
1.) Avid hasn't introduced new VIs, new AAX plugins, new hardware, new features in a very, very long time - I would say 5+ years. DAW competition has gained so much ground. What hope do I have that my hard earned money will be used towards any product development?
2.) Avid doesn't communicate with customers the way they used to or the way other companies do now. As a paying customer, I want to hear about feature enhancements on a regular basis on YouTube etc. Heck, has there ever been any communication on the DUC like there used to be?
3.) Subscriptions suck, at least the way Avid does it. Look at Slate for example. If my subscription runs out, and I want back in, no penalty. The subscription cost at $149 a year for Slate plugins is a lot more reasonable. I still would prefer going back to the ownership model. After all, with Studio One Pro 4.5 I get bug fixes free, upgrades are reasonable and use on up to 5 computers. No subscription.

So ye brethren of the DUC, help me out here. Do I cough up the money once again and feel like a complete cuck or do I grow some ca-hones and say "No more!" What say you?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 08-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Re: PT Ultimate Perpetual License Renewal - give me a reason...

Your call.
$315.00 on sale if you can find one.
Buy nothing and make music.
Let all your software age with your system.
If there were no penalty and capped at $200, would you stay?
Thats the question
Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Cons
1.) Avid hasn't introduced new VIs, new AAX plugins, new hardware, new features in a very, very long time - I would say 5+ years. DAW competition has gained so much ground. What hope do I have that my hard earned money will be used towards any product development?
Well, that's not true:
Hardware: MTRX, Dock, Control App, S1 and S4 are all within the last 5 years.
New features: too many to go through (do you remember clip effects? batch rename tracks/clips? import session data presets? track presets? atmos panners? 7.1.2 tracks? object tracks? ... )

Last edited by BScout; 08-22-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: punctuation change
Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 AM

Avid made efforts not to be thrustworthy and have just alienated a lot of clients base. All for 6$ per share and going down. And they will go down with this policies. Instead of expanding user ecosystem by all means (that should be major a goal) and dilute the costs, they shrinked the base and rised the costs. Recipe for disaster in medium/long term. Clients will stay where they are confortable and feel safe. Subscription in that format, without taking in consideration such an aggressive competition, is a joke. They looked at Adobe ? Or Microsoft ? They are truly industry standard, they have penetrated state administration fabric, they can do it because they don't have real competition in this regard and state administration is a huge ship that does not do brutal changes, they are somewhat captive. Avid's clients have a choice. I don't know what kind of board Avid have, but they seem not to have a clue about audio software market and how to harvest it's potential. We'll see, but I predict a not so good future for Avid regarding PT.

One by another, I have Logic, why pay 29.99$/month ?

Last edited by saptezsapte; 08-22-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: a small error
Old 09-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Well, like an idiot I sprung for renewal using Sweetwater's discount for $339 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...petual-license

$60 bucks off the Avid rip-off price of $399. Do I feel less ripped off? Maybe, at least knowing some of the money goes to Sweetwater.

Here's an open letter to Avid and CEO Jeff Rosica.

Dear Sirs:

With due respect, Pro Tools has become an enigma to long-time users like me. On the one hand, it's what we've spent years training ourselves to use, we know Pro Tools, we love Pro Tools. On the other hand, Pro Tools features are sorely lacking compared to other DAWs, yet it's the most expensive DAW software out there.

You've alienated so, so many low to mid market customers with your bloated subscription/yearly licensing fees. You created this ACA organization that is completely out of touch with social media and the internet and forgotten those on the DUC.

You add insult to injury by acquiring loyalty gifts from smaller third party vendors and tacking them on like door prizes to your bloated subscriptions. This isn't real software development.

In short, you need to do more for Pro Tools customers, A LOT MORE. I just reluctantly paid $339 for one more year for PT Ultimate (add another $99 for a PT Standard license for my laptop). Many would call me nuts. I can't tell you the number of people I've talked to this year that have said "Avid, never again." But I pay it because I remain hopeful you will see the light and really put some work and money into making Pro Tools what it should be.

Yeah, I know you'll never read this because it's on the DUC. But if you do, please realize it's time for YOU to STEP UP.

Warmest regards,

Justin Arey
Portland, Oregon
Pro Tools user since 1998
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Well, like an idiot I sprung for renewal using Sweetwater's discount for $339 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...petual-license

$60 bucks off the Avid rip-off price of $399. Do I feel less ripped off? Maybe, at least knowing some of the money goes to Sweetwater.

Here's an open letter to Avid and CEO Jeff Rosica.

Dear Sirs:

With due respect, Pro Tools has become an enigma to long-time users like me. On the one hand, it's what we've spent years training ourselves to use, we know Pro Tools, we love Pro Tools. On the other hand, Pro Tools features are sorely lacking compared to other DAWs, yet it's the most expensive DAW software out there.

You've alienated so, so many low to mid market customers with your bloated subscription/yearly licensing fees. You created this ACA organization that is completely out of touch with social media and the internet and forgotten those on the DUC.

You add insult to injury by acquiring loyalty gifts from smaller third party vendors and tacking them on like door prizes to your bloated subscriptions. This isn't real software development.

In short, you need to do more for Pro Tools customers, A LOT MORE. I just reluctantly paid $339 for one more year for PT Ultimate (add another $99 for a PT Standard license for my laptop). Many would call me nuts. I can't tell you the number of people I've talked to this year that have said "Avid, never again." But I pay it because I remain hopeful you will see the light and really put some work and money into making Pro Tools what it should be.

Yeah, I know you'll never read this because it's on the DUC. But if you do, please realize it's time for YOU to STEP UP.

Warmest regards,

Justin Arey
Portland, Oregon
Pro Tools user since 1998
YES!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:51 PM

For me, there's only one reason that would be worth it. Unblock more than 32 I/O without Avid audio hardware. I now have 128 I/O in a hybrid mix system (mostly Focusrite Rednet). This is about as Ultimate as it gets, and yet I'd have to spend around $10,000 to get a pair of HDX cards and the necessary Dante-to-Digilink adapter hardware to get that I/O into Pro Tools. Or, I can keep using Cubase with no additional expenditure. Still, I'd rather mix in Pro Tools.

I understand limiting the non-Ultimate version of Pro Tools to 32 I/O, but for those of us that own an Ultimate license, it's crazy to keep the I/O limits the way they are. Yes it would devalue HDX. Good - there's no need for it anymore. Witness the recent voice count increase that couldn't be applied to HDX but could in native software. That hardware artificially limits forward progress.