Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Missing plugins in AudioSuite / system freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I've not long been on a new win 7 64bit rig running PT 10. I've got a fair few plugs - RTAS and AAX, and they're all installed on the system. However, for some reason not all show up in AudioSuite - specifically Waves... though they're all right there in the mixer. I've trashed all prefs and updated from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8, but still nada.

(all plugs and PT itself fully legit before anyone asks!)

I'm wondering if something here is wrong, and if its related to system-wide catastrophic freezing I'm occasionally getting when PT is running (same symptoms as this thread - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=347229). Should I do a total uninstall and start from scratch I wonder? Desperately, desperately hoping I don't need to reinstall OS etc.

Win 7 Pro, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface.
Don't know about the freeze but I also have some plugins that don't show in Audio Suite - namely all Native Instruments plugins. I raised a support case with NI on this and sadly they have no idea what AS is or does.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't know about the freeze but I also have some plugins that don't show in Audio Suite - namely all Native Instruments plugins. I raised a support case with NI on this and sadly they have no idea what AS is or does.
Hi Jack - I just added an addendum to my previous post, would you mind checking if your system is the same as mine (assuming you're Windows?) In Program Files (x86) / Common Files / Avid / Audio / Plugins, I only see the subset of .aaxplugins I see in AudioSuite. Figure this has to be a clue - it's like AudioSuite only looks in this folder, while the rest of Pro Tools includes stuff elsewhere. I know there's the RTAS issue, but in theory Waves is installed as an aax, so I don't think that AS is not reading RTAS.

So I don't have a fix, but might have a little clue?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hi Jack - I just added an addendum to my previous post, would you mind checking if your system is the same as mine (assuming you're Windows?) In Program Files (x86) / Common Files / Avid / Audio / Plugins, I only see the subset of .aaxplugins I see in AudioSuite. Figure this has to be a clue - it's like AudioSuite only looks in this folder, while the rest of Pro Tools includes stuff elsewhere. I know there's the RTAS issue, but in theory Waves is installed as an aax, so I don't think that AS is not reading RTAS.

So I don't have a fix, but might have a little clue?
I don't have Windows but in Mac-land it's the same thing - Audio Suite only looks for plugins in it's own folder, same as RTAS only looks for plugins in it's folder. No cross pollination. As I said in my previous post not every developer's plugins support every function in PT. Just because a plugin is available as a track insert doesn't mean it's also AS. Heck not even all Digidesign/Avid plugins appear in AS.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't have Windows but in Mac-land it's the same thing - Audio Suite only looks for plugins in it's own folder, same as RTAS only looks for plugins in it's folder. No cross pollination. As I said in my previous post not every developer's plugins support every function in PT. Just because a plugin is available as a track insert doesn't mean it's also AS. Heck not even all Digidesign/Avid plugins appear in AS.
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. My previous rig was also Windows with identical plugins, and everything showed up in AudioSuite as normal - Waves, Unveil, everything. I'm 99% sure everything SHOULD show up whether RTAS or AAX (but as I said, I think the RTAS / AAX thing is a red herring in our case). We're unlucky enough to have rigs that have both gone fubar somehow, even though one is a Mac and one is a PC....
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. My previous rig was also Windows with identical plugins, and everything showed up in AudioSuite as normal - Waves, Unveil, everything. I'm 99% sure everything SHOULD show up whether RTAS or AAX (but as I said, I think the RTAS / AAX thing is a red herring in our case). We're unlucky enough to have rigs that have both gone fubar somehow, even though one is a Mac and one is a PC....
But it is right - I have NI plugins available as inserts in tracks not not in Audio Suite and NI themselves has said they don't support Audio Suite. And like I said they tech I emailed back and forth with gave me the impression NI didn't even have a clue as to what Audio Suite was. Like Metallica said: Sad But True.

My rig is okay otherwise and I have enough plugins as Audio Suite to cover my bases although I wouldn't mind having NI in there.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Whoa there, solved my Waves problem via thread here - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=327997 . I had to hold down shift on launching PT, and after a while a secret mystery dialog appears for Waves plugs. There was a checkbox ticked for "don't use audiosuite plugins". Who knew THAT was there?! And a few stock ones have showed up too, like Vari Fi, on the PT 10.3.9 install, so getting there. Unviel is still AWOL which used to be there on the old rig, but I think that's it at the moment.

EDIT - yes, looks like some plugs won't show up by design, but I think everything in my case has been some other issue like the Waves one here.

EDIT 2 - Win some and lose some. Unviel now appeared after an AAX reinstall, but Waves appears to forget its setup state, and reverts to "don't use in AudioSuite" every time. Off to start a new thread in the aax section....
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Whoa there, solved my Waves problem via thread here - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=327997 . I had to hold down shift on launching PT, and after a while a secret mystery dialog appears for Waves plugs. There was a checkbox ticked for "don't use audiosuite plugins". Who knew THAT was there?! And a few stock ones have showed up too, like Vari Fi, on the PT 10.3.9 install, so getting there. Unviel is still AWOL which used to be there on the old rig, but I think that's it at the moment.

EDIT - yes, looks like some plugs won't show up by design, but I think everything in my case has been some other issue like the Waves one here.

EDIT 2 - Win some and lose some. Unviel now appeared after an AAX reinstall, but Waves appears to forget its setup state, and reverts to "don't use in AudioSuite" every time. Off to start a new thread in the aax section....
Cool you found that; not cool the problem is back. I'll be looking for the one in the aax forum.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM

OK, so I'm now good to go with all my plugs in AudioSuite. Thanks to all who helped - as sometimes happens, looks like it was a combination of factors.

Not yet sure if I've licked the system freeze. Has only crashed with PT open. Since the last freeze I've clean uninstalled 10.3.8 (well, supposedly clean) and reinstalled PT 10.3.9 and updated the BIOS chipset. So far so good, but its an intermittent fault of course. If it does it again, I'll be moving / ditching the powered USB 2 hub that hosts the iLok as the next test.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
OK, so I'm now good to go with all my plugs in AudioSuite. Thanks to all who helped - as sometimes happens, looks like it was a combination of factors.

Not yet sure if I've licked the system freeze. Has only crashed with PT open. Since the last freeze I've clean uninstalled 10.3.8 (well, supposedly clean) and reinstalled PT 10.3.9 and updated the BIOS chipset. So far so good, but its an intermittent fault of course. If it does it again, I'll be moving / ditching the powered USB 2 hub that hosts the iLok as the next test.
I don't know if it still exists in Windows (I know it was in XP) but msmsgs.exe used to mess up my XP/Sonar system something fierce. It would periodically interrupt cpu processes that would make Sonar hiccup. Deleted it and no more problems

QAPLA!