Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Free Plug-ins?

Hello.
I'm running Pro Tools LE 7 with a MusicXPC C4 computer, PC.
Many of the websites that I go to usually notify me of new Freeware/Shareware plug-ins that are available to download.
Here are a couple websites that I usually go to:
http://www.kvraudio.com/
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/new

Many of these plug-ins look very promising and cool... but because they are free,
how do you make sure that any of the plug-ins you download, do not contain any viruses or spyware..etc..?

Do you guys usually download free plug-ins?
How do you stay safe when downloading free-plug-ins?
What do you recommend to do?
Thanks All.
Hope to Hear Back from You All.
-MitchM2006-
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Free Plug-ins?

MitchM2006,
First off, welcome to the DUC
Now...PT LE can only utilize RTAS type plug-ins. There are but a couple of free one of these, I'd recommend the "Massey" selection to start with ! Then..some of Digi's own..please check the main download section.
All the "free" stuff out there fall in the VST/DX/AU category. You can only use the VST ones, provided you've purchased and installed the "Fxpansion" VST>RTAS converter.
As far as checking for viruses..just the regular PC user's daily routine will do. That is, right click on the downloaded file before even running it and select "check for viruses/malware, etc..." with your already installed scanning application.

best of luck & happy tooling,
andrew

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM

Hi Lemix, thanks for replying.

I use the following for virus/antispyware protection.
-Spybot-
-Ad Aware-
-AVG Free-

Are these sufficient enough?
Did you have any links for the Massey and other "free" plug-ins or Virtual Instruments to get started with?
Thanks Lemix,
Talk to you Soon.
-MitchM2006-
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 PM

If you get it from the developers site, I'm sure you will never have a virus problem. Just avoid Limewire and crap like that. You never know what you will get there.

If you are specifically looking for free stuff, check gersic.com . Get the wrapper. I am notoriously cheap. It will save you hundreds of dollars.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Did you have any links for the Massey and other "free" plug-ins or Virtual Instruments to get started with?
I've got a list with links on my website if you're interested.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 PM

Thank you all for replying, I guess if I go to a plug-in's website that features a big company/corporation, then I should be pretty safe?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 PM

From my experience, any developers site should be fine. It doesn't just have to be the big boys. And if you see the link on KVR, Gersic or SPK's site, that is even more assurance that it is trusted.

It seems that you may be afraid that the free plugs are too good to be true. Just as many of us would play music for free, a lot of these guys program just for the joy of programming. Also some of the best ones are "lite" versions, designed to get you to buy their more expensive counterparts.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that price necessarily equals performance. I've used free plugs that worked every bit as well as their pricey commercial counterparts (GSNAP by gvst comes to mind, it is basically a free Antares Autotune and works great) and I've used purchased plugs that weren't really worth the money.

When you do find a clunker, remove it from your machine right away. Your folder will soon grow larger than you will want to manage otherwise. Use what sounds/works best for you. Happy hunting!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Thanks again Markshan.
It seems that I would like to try out some free virtual instruments because I have got a Yamaha Clavinova CVP207, and I have never really tested out the MIDI performance/function from a PC to a master keyboard MIDI controller.
Do you have any you can recommend?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Just avoid Limewire and crap like that. You never know what you will get there.
Actually, I've found alot of great VST plugins with limewire, virus free. If you know what to look for, you're all good.

If it's a *.dll file, it's a VST.

If it's a *.exe file, it could be dangerous. Most, if not all viruses in limewire atleast are roughly between 0 and 900kbs. A setup/installer would be at least in the 1,000kbs and above.

If it's a *.zip or *.rar, it's up to you to take the risk. I've done so, and never hit into a virus while downloading VSTs