Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Reference monitors to be used with Eleven Rack?

Hello guys,

I'm actually happy with my Shure SRH940 headphones but ear fatigue is slowing me down a lot. And I'd like to mix both with headphones and monitors, so I wanna buy monitors as well.

I'll use them with my Eleven Rack, I have $600 limit, and I know NOTHING about reference monitors. Should I buy passive ones? active ones? Just advice me some models and I'll check them, consider your advices and maybe finally get my new monitors.

Thanks a lot
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Reference monitors to be used with Eleven Rack?

You'll want active ones, which means the amp and speaker are in one cabinet. Much more convenient and affordable (I think passive ones are generally higher priced, plus you'd need to buy a separate amp).

There are lots to choose from in that price range. I remember from your other post that you are in Turkey. I'm not sure how many music stores are near where you live, but ideally, you'd want to go into a store and listen to various monitors to see what you like.

You could also order online, but I don't know if there might be shipping charges (monitors are heavy).

One question is how much bass response you want. If you want better bass response, look for monitors with a 6" or 8" woofer.

The M-Audio BX8 series is sold as a pair, that seems to be a popular one. Most are sold individually, but to get 2 in that price range, you could also check out the Yamaha HS80's, JBL 2328's, and some of the KRK Rockit series.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You'll want active ones, which means the amp and speaker are in one cabinet. Much more convenient and affordable (I think passive ones are generally higher priced, plus you'd need to buy a separate amp).

There are lots to choose from in that price range. I remember from your other post that you are in Turkey. I'm not sure how many music stores are near where you live, but ideally, you'd want to go into a store and listen to various monitors to see what you like.

You could also order online, but I don't know if there might be shipping charges (monitors are heavy).

One question is how much bass response you want. If you want better bass response, look for monitors with a 6" or 8" woofer.

The M-Audio BX8 series is sold as a pair, that seems to be a popular one. Most are sold individually, but to get 2 in that price range, you could also check out the Yamaha HS80's, JBL 2328's, and some of the KRK Rockit series.
I'm able to buy them online and shipping charge is not a problem.

I wouldn't want to buy passive monitors if they require an amp, so I go for active ones. And yes, I want a good bass response so I'll keep in mind that I should look for 6" or 8" ones.

I'll check all of those monitors you suggested, for now I checked bx8 and it looks like a good monitor. yeah it's a popular one I guess because I see it on youtube a lot.

thanks for the comment, it really helps
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM

I am using a pair of Yamaha HS80Ms and they sound fantastic with my 11R.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
I am using a pair of Yamaha HS80Ms and they sound fantastic with my 11R.
are they sold individually or as a pair?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 AM

They are sold individually. Most of them are because some people might need an odd number like if they're using them for surround setups, etc.

The ones sold as a pair are the exception, not the rule.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 PM

I have both the Yamaha HS80's and JBL 2328's and both are very nice with the 11R. I really wouldn't pick one over the other, but I don't think you can go wrong with either pair.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

I caught a pair of yamaha hs80m's for $700 (new) on ebay. they are 330 euros for each in my country, turkey.

m-audio's turkish distributer sells bx8's for a reasonable price, do you guys think I should go for bx8's?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread (well, yes maybe I do!) but does anyone have a recommendation for a single active monitor with the volume control on the FRONT of the unit? I'm using a Mackie SRM350 right now, but feeling around the back of the thing to tweak the volume really bugs me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 AM

Not necessarily recommending over anything else as I've not used any other monitors with my ER + notwithstanding opinions on 'best', I suspect one get's used to whatever (decent) monitors one uses ...

I'm happy with my Digidesign RM1s - I believe they may be discontinued now but may still be able to find them ... there's a pair of the larger RM2s just come up in 'buy and sell'.

Basically Digidesign/Avid influenced PMCs ... kind of cross between the little PMCs with design features from higher up their line. They have built-in AD-DA (may put some off!) and a digital input which you could connect to the ER's AES out. Thus, your ER or PT audio avoids the ER DA stage, is transfered to the monitors in the digital domain where the DA is done as late as possible (including digital crossover).

These were pretty well reviewed at the time against many of the higher-end monitors and we are all here working with digital audio after all ... appears that the quality of DA (up to 96khz) in these is higher than what is typical in audio interfaces.