Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-23-2020, 10:22 AM

Default "Gearing Up" Advice

I am purchasing a dedicated PT computer - to be used only for Pro tools recording and mixing in my non-commercial (but important to me!) studio. I use a lot of virtual instruments and, after all aux's and effects sub tracks I can have quite a few tracks in a typical session

Interface: UAD Apollo X8 + Apollo X16 (And lots of UAD PI's)
Outboard gear (for now):
2 Neve Portico II Preamps
Empirical labs EL8
Dangerous Music 2Bus+ for Summing
Neve Portico II Master Bus Processor
Avid surface controller

Plan is to purchase a PC (no mac please) with 32 DDR4 minimum for RAM. Not opposed to having one built or purchasing (though most big vendors seem to have no clue about Pro Tools)
I have a budget of up to 2500 USD for a PC (not including monitor) and would be interested in suggestions for CPU, Motherboard, Drive configurations for that budget. I could go higher but am interested in suggestions for that price range. Considering i9 9900k (does PT really utilize overclocking?) versus 10900K. With adler lake cpus/DDR5 looking like its arriving as early as late next year, this may only be a 2 year max investment. Any informed insights would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Re: "Gearing Up" Advice

You will need a lot of cables and spend more than you can imagine on them. A patchbay may be in your future. If you can solder, it will reduce your wiring costs.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:47 AM

HP is having a pretty good sale on their Z workstations. You can configure with i9 or Xeon processors. I just picked up a Z2 SFF G4 at a big discount. If you configure it bare minimum memory and drive, you can upgrade those items yourself for significant savings.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:55 AM

If you are comfortable with building your own PC, you can get all around better components for the build and get more bang for the buck. That being said, Protools has a history of being finicky about what hardware you use and you'll need to scour this forum for the latest recommendation and proven parts to use. With Windows, you have to follow the optimization steps carefully to minimize unexpected issues. One thing that we have learned here is that a PC built for powerful gaming does not necessarily translate to a great PC for your Protools DAW. I know you said no Apple Macs, and I can appreciate that sentiment, but one of the reasons Mac are popular for Protools is that is has less variables that can go wrong. Regardless, Windows works if you keep to the tried and tested components and configuration settings mentioned above.

If you are not inclined to build your own PC, it might be a good idea to get a PC built for DAW use such as the Creation Station series from Sweetwater. They also have great customer support from people that actually know about Protools and other DAWs. Check with them as they constantly update their models to keep current with the newest processors and components.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 08-23-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
You will need a lot of cables and spend more than you can imagine on them. A patchbay may be in your future. If you can solder, it will reduce your wiring costs.
Hey Philgrab - thanks but forgot to mention I have a switchcraft 64 point and all cabling required, and a bit extra actually. Of course the 2Bus + has DB25 connecting to UAD x16 which I just got to have adequate I/O for summing
Old 08-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
If you are comfortable with building your own PC, you can get all around better components for the build and get more bang for the buck. That being said, Protools has a history of being finicky about what hardware you use and you'll need to scour this forum for the latest recommendation and proven parts to use. With Windows, you have to follow the optimization steps carefully to minimize unexpected issues. One thing that we have learned here is that a PC built for powerful gaming does not necessarily translate to a great PC for your Protools DAW. I know you said no Apple Macs, and I can appreciate that sentiment, but one of the reasons Mac are popular for Protools is that is has less variables that can go wrong. Regardless, Windows works if you keep to the tried and tested components and configuration settings mentioned above.

If you are not inclined to build your own PC, it might be a good idea to get a PC built for DAW use such as the Creation Station series from Sweetwater. They also have great customer support from people that actually know about Protools and other DAWs. Check with them as they constantly update their models to keep current with the newest processors and components.
Waiting for a quote regarding creation station but seems most of their systems utilize i7 versus i9 9900 or 10th gen. online web site they list 8 and 16 RAM configs but are supposed to be quoting 32. Seems a bit silly to not go with recommended 32 if not 64. I'm also finding various info regarding overclocking (i.e. investing in K series cpu) and optimal drive configuration
Old 08-23-2020, 02:23 PM

Sweetwater and pro-tools-pc.com both do Pro Tools-specific PC's. The 8 and 16GB RAM options are for people with bigger ideas than pocketbooks(sounds like you are not that customer) Are the Apollo units thunderbolt? If yes, the PC needs to be built with that in mind as it can be impossible to add later on.

Are you new to the UA world? If you know it well and know the pitfalls, then carry on. If you are considering it because others recommend it(but you have little experience with it), you might want to do some more research. As good as the hardware is, there are some limitations you should learn about. And, while the plugins sound great, they are expensive(you can make great recordings without any UA, just as you can WITH UA).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGG View Post
Waiting for a quote regarding creation station but seems most of their systems utilize i7 versus i9 9900 or 10th gen. online web site they list 8 and 16 RAM configs but are supposed to be quoting 32. Seems a bit silly to not go with recommended 32 if not 64. I'm also finding various info regarding overclocking (i.e. investing in K series cpu) and optimal drive configuration
Creation Station does not just use the latest and newest components on the market (processors, memory, drives, etc.). They use what has been extensively tested and used in real world situations for DAWs (especially Protools). For this reason, some of the newest, and higher spec'd processors may not be implemented in Creation Station PCs yet. If you want the fastest and largest capacity PC, you are best served by building your own PC. Keep in mind that some of these components may not perform as well on Protools as they do for gaming or server-class functions. However if you want rock-solid stability and world-class support, a company like Sweetwater is a good choice. There are others like PC Audio Labs also, so feel free to look around.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 08-23-2020, 03:27 PM

I agree - most seem to know about gaming and NOTHING about Pro Tools/DAW config. Which is why I'm steering clear of the big names - They keep ending up with workstations that would be awesome for 3D computer modeling (which I also do - but have another computer for work - this is PT only). I will wait and see what their quote looks like.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:31 PM

UAD units are all thunderbolt 3 so that's part of the mix. I happen to really like the UAD hardware and totally love most of the plug ins I have purchased (all on sale of course) and a few are go to's that end up on every mix. The Apollo's are rock-solid pieces of gear but that's my preference - There are so many awesome options for gear!!!