Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Application Launch Failure - HELP!!!

After 3 long weeks in the repair shop, my mac finally came home...but I can't get protools to launch. I get this error:

Application "ProTools" could not be launched because of a shared library error. "1<ProTools_LE_OSX_Rel><ProTools_LE_OSX_Rel><DSI>< >"

Anyone have a clue how to launch my protools? Basically, my repair involved a fried logic board, or so they thought...in the end they replaced everything (logic board, processor, chassy, etc) except my hard drive. I was having communication problems with my firewire ports and with the mirror door models of G4s, apparently there is some weird modelling where the firwrie is handled on the processor instead of the logic board, or something? In any event, just got it back...upon the request of the repair tech, i ran an update and upgraded to OS 10.3.7. I browsed these forums and caught the recommendations for the cs update files.

First, I simply tried launching ProTools 6.4 in OS 10.3.7, and got the error. Tried repairing and verifying disk permissions, installed the cs updates, rebooted several times...erased all the recommended files in the trouble shooting guide...but still get that error. How can I fix this?

Please help!
evan
www.asteriskband.com
OS 10.4.6
002 mixing board w/ PT 7.1.1cs
Old 01-04-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Application Launch Failure - HELP!!!

one other piece of information...my digi002 rack doesn't appear (it used to before the repair) as an option for my other software applications' (such as peak) audio input/output devices.
OS 10.4.6
Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 AM

I think the next thing I would do if I were in your shoes (besides swear a lot) would be to reinstall Pro Tools. I think when you first run the installer there's an Uninstall option. If that gives you no satisfaction, you might also have to consider reinstalling your OS. Is your PowerMac set up with more than one partition? You might consider installing OS X along with Pro Tools elsewhere on the drive and seeing if it runs well there. It may be that your Mac still isn't repaired.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I think the next thing I would do if I were in your shoes (besides swear a lot) would be to reinstall Pro Tools. I think when you first run the installer there's an Uninstall option. If that gives you no satisfaction, you might also have to consider reinstalling your OS. Is your PowerMac set up with more than one partition? You might consider installing OS X along with Pro Tools elsewhere on the drive and seeing if it runs well there. It may be that your Mac still isn't repaired.
i just called the repair folks and they suggested reinstalling Pro Tools as well. Aside from running the uninstall option, are there any additional files I need to look for and remove? If so, what and where can I find them?

Like I mentioned, I tried launching it without the cs updates and then installed the cs updates and received the identical result. However, before my first attempt to launch it, I upgraded my OS to 10.3.7. Is there a compatibility issue with this version of OS 10.3 and ProTools 6.4? Reading these forums suggested that it was very stable, but also reading these forums shows me that identical configurations give different results depending on the user. Is there a way to reverse this upgrade to the previous version of 10.3? If so, how? Everything was working so well before my entire machine got fried!

Save my pro tools!!!! arghhh!!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
OS 10.4.6
Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 AM

reinstalling PT is pretty simple and often the quickest way to solve problems anyway...I use the unistaller and preserve the compatible files with other applications (these are pretty much dae plugins that have compatibility with Avid products)--there's a check box for this in the unistaller...you can do a complete reinstall, but pretty much all problems are fixed either way.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 PM

well, i tried the uninstall and reinstall. then i tried the full trouble shooting steps from step one of removing prefrence files until the end...including another uninstall/reinstall. i installed protools 6.0, then installed 6.1, then installed 6.4, rebooted and tried to launch again. This time protools launches, but as soon as everything finishes the launch, i get an unexpected quit and i'm asked if i want to submit a bug report to apple.

any thoughts on this? i think my next best step is to reinstall OS X and set it to 10.3.4, currently, i've got 10.3.7. but that takes a lot of time and i'm affraid of losing files doing this. is there anything else i can try? i also have the ik multimedia studio bundle and the digibundle for reason and live installed on my machine.

Please HELP!!!

thanking you in advance,
evan
OS 10.4.6
Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 PM

Try Trashing your prefererences again (without PT running) and then a cold start reboot. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago that drove me crazy. ( and I was so pressed for time that I dove back into my OS9 partition to keep the session going) I went through all the procedures you did but nothing worked except the preference trashing. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 PM

i'll give it a shot, but i've trashed the prefs before always with PT not running (I can't get it running at all!)...

i'm beginning to think that the problem may be OS 10.3.7? or possibly the other plugins that i run during protools sessions (IK multimedia studio bundle, and the digirack plugins for Live and Reason), do i need to trash any prefs for these files? basically i can't even launch pro tools, so i have to think that these are not effecting anything, but i don't really know. i'm getting desperate and will soon try reinstalling OS x, but only going as far as 10.2.4?
OS 10.4.6
Old 01-06-2005, 03:57 AM

Have you looked in your Home directory in Library>Preferences for 'Digisetup.OSX?' It may need to be trashed, too. There may even be one that says "corrupt;" get rid of it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 AM

Unfortunateley you'll have to create a new account with administrative priveleges. Search the answerbase for "pro tools unexpectedly quit" and it will give you step by step instructions. Pro tools will launch, but you'll have to ask a mac guru how to set up the new account so you can see other files and programs as the new user
Marty