Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-05-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Any way to deal with mixed sample rate omf?

For the second time in a month a client has come in with an omf created on an Avid that had mixed sample rate audio in the sequence. ProTools no likey. The Digi web site says something about reconsolidating all the master video clips with no audio attached then re-exporting the omf. Sounds good, but there is no check box in Media Composer that lets you do that. After many hours of exporting, importing to another Avid consolidating etc., etc. ProTools still no likey. Anyway around this? I'm on PT6.1, all the Avids in question are current.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Any way to deal with mixed sample rate omf?

I think the issue is that when the Avid digitized the clips, the sample rate (whether there was actually audio captured or not) was mixed. The Video clips, even thought there is no audio with them, maintains this sample rate "Stamp". So the Avid sequence needs to have all the VIDEO reconsolodated at the appropriate sample rate. OR you coud re digitize all the video at the appropriate sample rate too. Let me know if it works as we've run into this issue at my work as well, but never actually got to resolve it.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 12-05-2003, 08:55 PM

I agree with eveything you say, but I am wondering if there is anyway to make it work after it is too late for the Avid editor to re-digitize. We did try consolidating everything with sample rate conversion checked, then creating the omf. That didn't work. But, that omf was imported to another Avid consolidated again and a new omf created that did work. We tried this process on another job with no luck. Obviously the cure is for the Avid editor to pick a sample rate for his job and never digitize anything at a different sample rate. Unfortunately some editors ain't so bright and it turns into my problem. Also, I'm still a little confused about the fix I found in the answerbase as there is no option to do that.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 AM

The consolidate with the same sample rate check box you refer to actually is refering to the audio (I think). The whole problem is that the Video clips have the sample rate built into their metadata even when there is no audio associated with them. So the consolidate at the same sample rate is only affecting the audio (which in many cases is fine). It's the Video specifically that needs to be consolidated.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM

But you can't consolidate the video with no audio attached, as Digi advises. I'm not trying to get into an argument over that anyway. It seems like the bottom line is that there is no way to make a mixed sample rate omf work. Anyone try an AAF? The few times we've tried creating an AAF, we've had two results. One the Avid crashes, or two the AAF document is unrocognizeable by PT.