Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Made the Jump to HD 2 - Huge sound difference (in my studio)

DUC membersI also posted this in the TDM forum so forgive me if this is redundant for some of you)

A few months ago I posted a question asking whether I would notice sound improvements if I made the leap to HD. I received many insightful comments from DUC members. Ultimately, I decided to make the jump to HD2, but not for any sound quality improvements, rather for the workflow improvements. My expectations regarding sound quality improvements were very low. I promised that I would post my results if I decided to make the move.

I made the move to HD2 about two weeks ago.
I want to post my early results.

I compared mixes recorded and mixed on an HD2 96io versus and an LE Digi 002 rig. I used a Rosetta 800 for A/D for both recordings. I used a Neumann U87 for vocals, two SM81's for acoustic guitar and a variety of mic pres from vintech, neve and focusrite in the same chain/setup for both recordings. I used the exact mics and micpres for each recording. I recorded the same song with the same performers to minimize any differences.

Here goes: the sound quality difference was HUGELY noticeable! (I am prepared for people to throw tomatoes at me now I have been told there should be little if any sound quality difference, but I am telling you how things sound in my studio, and how my mixes sound OUTSIDE the studio - in a car, on a home stereo, etc.

HD is clearly SUPERIOR.

The HD sound field has a wide image and a depth and spaciousness that the LE lacks. The HD tracks have a "smoothness" to them when compared to the a kind of "grittiness" in the LE tracks and mix.

I am planning to post some reference tracks and mixes for any LE users considering making the jump to HD as a "point of reference only".

I am hugely impressed with the jump to HD2. Although the price tag was pretty painful, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY that I made the jump. My tracking and mixes have benefitted considerably.

I welcome your comments and feedback.

Respectfully,

Rule 62 Recording
Dallas, Texas
Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Made the Jump to HD 2 - Huge sound difference (in my studio)

Hi, I'd be very interested to hear your reference tracks!

Thanks
PT 8 cs2 OSX 10.5.8
Mbox 2 Pro, Mini, Micro
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

I'd also be very interested in hearing the two recordings.

Were the same RTAS plugins used or did you switch to TDM versions of the same plugins?

I'm somewhat sceptical: There have been several "can you hear the difference" threads both here and on other boards. There was even a thread here where a Logic Pro mix was compared to an LE and an HD mix and people couldn't consistently tell the difference. Several people even chose the Logic mix as the best. Why would your mix be so decisively different?

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Yes. The A/D and clock is superior to the 002. At that price, I would expect an improvement.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM

Park, did you miss this?

"I used a Rosetta 800 for A/D for both recordings."

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Made the Jump to HD 2 - Huge sound difference (in my stu

I will certainly post the reference tracks shortly.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Hi Iwilliam,

Yes, I did. Then there should be no difference!?!?!??

Please, when posting the links, don't label them. Let us guess the origin.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM

I should certainly hope that HD sounds better, especially for the 14K (AUD) difference. Open up your system usage window - you'll see a whole bunch od DSP being allocated to the mixer, used for processing audio.

TDM/HD systems have always sounded better. I ran an LE session over TDM hardware, and printed it down to DAT via SPDIF (the same way I printed the LE session down,). It was a world of difference. There was also a world of difference between the price of the 2 systems.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 AM

First of all, congrats on the upgrade

I too would like to hear sound clips. And if you do post them, please don't label them.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM

If you read the technical white paper posted at the beginning of the TDM forum, there is detailed information on the 48-bit mix plug-in and although theoretically 32 bit floating point processing in LE should be similar to 48 bit double precision it seems pretty clear that this is where the distinction lies.

If both systems are using the same clock and a/d, there should be no noticeable difference in sound unless the mixes are summed differently.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com