Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: heh

Alright kids, here we go! Another fun Apple vs Digi thread.

Doesn't it seem like Apple should just go ahead and buy Avid so we can just get a single tool that offers the brilliant interface and routing of Pro Tools with the more advanced compositional architecture (and arguably better sound quality)of Logic? Maybe acquire Apogee as well to create the interface division.

Personally I've been dividing my time roughly 50/50 between Logic and PT.

Convergence - I'm all for it.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Keep the companies seperate and let them fight it out for your love. Competition makes for better products.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM

I respect your point of view Park, but in this case I am unconvinced. In six years of using both platforms, neither has really done it all for me. I think the two complement each other and the sum of the two would produce a greater product than either will be on its own.
NYC

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Keep the companies seperate and let them fight it out for your love. Competition makes for better products.
I hear ya. Logic lost my love a while ago - I got into it waiting for the big "Apple Makeover" to happen and it never did, I now use PT for almost everything with a little bit of time in DP on rare occasions when I work for certain clients. At least I learned how to use Logic though, so I can charge people who call me for support, and even though I'm a PT guy through and through to be honest I think DP is probably the best DAW out of all of them having used them all now. I won't switch for myself b/c I don't need the massive MIDI upgrade that DP offers and I do a lot more audio work than anything else, but I don't recommend Logic to anybody anymore.

Personally, I'm much more excited to see what Digi can do with Sibelius as opposed to what Apple can do with Logic.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Alright kids, here we go! Another fun Apple vs Digi thread.

Doesn't it seem like Apple should just go ahead and buy Avid so we can just get a single tool that offers the brilliant interface and routing of Pro Tools with the more advanced compositional architecture (and arguably better sound quality)of Logic? Maybe acquire Apogee as well to create the interface division.

Personally I've been dividing my time roughly 50/50 between Logic and PT.

Convergence - I'm all for it.
But competition is what breeds excellence, no? Or complacency in some, but it becomes glaringly obvious when that happens as well. You get better stuff when one tries to outdo the other.

AVID/Digi has clearly banked on their 'industry standard' status for too long now. I still love ProTools, I do more FCP stuff than AVID these days and actually prefer the more streamlined ergonomics of FCP, although because of the 'industry standard' stuff, I still prefer to at least finish a feature film for negative cut or online on AVID. Plus, there's more high-end work hiring in AVID, at least the stuff that I want to do. I dunno....both can do more than I can do, but there's still times where I think both AVID/Digi and Apple/FCP could be more practical about some things.

I really miss working on Steenbecks!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I like the synths that come with Protools. Xpand is waaaay more powerful than sculpture and the all the other samplers that come with logic. I also like the pitch correction that comes with protools too. It's way better than the one that logic comes with. Plus you don't have to buy one since protools comes with one. Protools also comes with a whole tone of other stuff that logic doesn't come with like a multiband compressor.
It doesn't sound like you're familiar with what's included in Logic Pro. Xpand is a decent instrument, but shouldn't be compared with Sculpture - completely different things. ProTools LE doesn't come with a multiband compressor, Logic Pro does. Other things in Logic, that are absent in ProTools LE: a great Hammond emulator, a great convolution reverb, linear phase EQ, a full-featured sampler...

I've got my gripes about Logic Pro, but it comes with lots more useful (for me) stuff than ProTools LE.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
ProTools LE doesn't come with a multiband compressor, Logic Pro does. Other things in Logic, that are absent in ProTools LE: a great Hammond emulator, a great convolution reverb, linear phase EQ, a full-featured sampler...

I've got my gripes about Logic Pro, but it comes with lots more useful (for me) stuff than ProTools LE.
EXACTLY!
NYC

Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Protools Killer

This is funny. I can't believe how many people were trying to tell me that I'm not familiar with Protools. I was just mentioning that Protools comes with half ass versions of stuff or nothing at all. I wouldn't complain if Protools came with a multiband compressor. Of course I know. I have a crap ass mBox 2 factory. Which comes with [bleep] all. I had a Digi 001..... which came with [bleep] all.... I even had a Protools Toolbox.... which came with [bleep] all.

This [bleep] all mentality comes standard with all protools system though.

Let's get real. Feature wise, Protools is behind in the times and taking the microsoft approach in software. Give it time and the markets tables will turn.

It's getting harder and harder to defend protolls faithfully like I used to.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Protools Killer

Disclaimer: This post is for entertainment only! No DAW's or engineers were harmed during this post. It is not an attack on any of the afformentioned companies and designers as I like an use all of these products. it's all just a funny opinion.

Beets, it'f really funny how people don't get sarcasm, sarcasm trully is an art form anyway, the fact of the matter is this, Digi doesn't have to bundle anything with there systems. WHY?? you ask? because people will buy it regardless. I use Logic Pro as well, and yeah it has great plug ins for mixing, and yeah great synths and samplers, but guess what? People still want digi, regardless! There is a reason why its the industry standard, and people will pay whatever costs nessary to have that. I don't talk crap about any DAW's, because they all have there place and they all have there strengths and weakness. The whole protools killer is a joke. Digi is not going anywhere for a long time. And don't you think they would implement touch technology in future versions of PT? Do you really think touch screens are going to be a hot comodity when they come out? They have been out for years! Anyone ever go to an ATM? lol Oh i know of another hot comodity thats the apple killer, it's called windows vista! Please. Use what you need to use to get the job done and have fun! You really don't need a billion plugs and billion audio tracks to get really great stuff. Man, somtimes I just miss my 4 track! lol

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 04-01-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Protools Killer

Yeah, Vista's getting some really rave reviews.