Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 AM

Default recording a live show with 002 rack question

OK so on Halloween of this year my friend's band is doing a reunion show with other bands etc. I want to capture this moment with video and audio. I know how to set up for a live show and put the video and audio together after I mix the audio etc. my question is I am not sure how I can route my channels correctly so that I can record all the tracks I need and also be able to have the venue use their mixer board to control the stage and floor sound? I have a PC that runs pt le just fine and I will have 16 tracks available via digi rack 002 and opticle interface. do I input all the tracks through the rack and opticle rack and then output the channels to the mixer for them to control the sound? I mean I have never tried this with what I have. I have always used cheap multitrack devices before and I want to get a good recording this time around. any help on how to route everything and output through pro tools etc to the venue board would be awesome thanks.

ahren
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 AM

Default Re: recording a live show with 002 rack question

I would take the direct outs from the board (pre-fader) into your 002 and adat device. That way once you get your preamp levels set on the board, moving the faders on the board won't affect the levels going to your 002. You COULD run the mics into the 002/adat and route each channel to the proper outputs in PT and use the analog outs on your adat device, but I'm thinking you may have some issues with latency - or maybe not if you use low latency monitoring. Personally I'd rather not have the main live mix depend on Pro Tools and your 002 though - better to run the live sound normally and get your recording feed off the board. It would really suck to get some DAE error and have to pause the live show while you reboot your pc!!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 AM

ok well I am still learning about live soundboards. the one at the venue I am using has pre fader buttons but the only outs I see are the I/O slots for each channel. as far as I know when you use them it deactivates the mixer knobs and regular output in the board but I could be wrong. its a yamaha 24 channel board I have the 16 channel mg version almost the same. but yeah I will expirement thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 PM

ok so I think I got it figured out. it never occurred to me that you can use tip and ring i/o cables in the i/o slots in the mixer. so now I can input direct into the mixer for the live show and then output and then input at the same time to my digi hardware and mixer while still being able to operate the tracks on the mixer for the show. not sure if it makes sense. always learning something obvious everyday. lol
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 AM

just be careful using direct outs, make sure they ARE pre fader,
nothing worse then them being post fader and the live mix altering your signal to tools...i had this happen to me recently! on a faulty desk (or inhouse engineer) where some channels were set to pre fader and others set to post...

do you know how hard it is to recover this? haha!

very hard...
good luck with the gig! let us know how you go
Old 09-24-2009, 04:36 AM

also... forgot to mention.. if you can get access to an xlr splitter, it's even better!