Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Default Continuous recording and saving?

Hey there experts... I need some advice.

I will be recording a very long continuous session (2 hours). Is there a way I can punch out of record and have it automatically continue recording seamlessly? I would like to save often, and then just consolidate all the regions on export.

I am afraid that my session could crash in the middle of recording and I would lose everything. I want to be able to punch out but automatically keep recording without stopping transport.

Anybody know a way to do this?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Continuous recording and saving?

I don't have an answer, but really a question. Are you needing to have players HEAR the actual recording as it goes down(IOW, are they monitoring from the session)? If not, I would simply set your buffer to the highest number and let it roll. Any decently tweaked PT rig SHOULD run for the entire show without stopping. And, you should be able to toggle the N key and make PT stop(when you have a moment to stop and hit save) and then start from that same point(sorry I can't remember the actual technical setting term). I would create a new session(even just with a single audio track), put it in record for 10 seconds, hit STOP, and then go back into record. Toggling the N key should give you what I describe(as opposed to the cursor going back to zero). A little testing beforehand will save lots of aggravation during the show

As for "seamlessly", that's not going to happen if you stop>save>start

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And, you should be able to toggle the N key and make PT stop(when you have a moment to stop and hit save) and then start from that same point(sorry I can't remember the actual technical setting term).
Insertion Follows Playback.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Yeah... I know about those short cuts.

I will have the highest buffer size. Since I have upgraded to HDX/ pt11HD, recording has been very unreliable. I sometimes get odd sample rate digital artifacts, like it loses sync with internal clock. With 11.2.2 it would often crash during recording. I am back on 11.2.1, but I still get unpredictable results.

I have been an owner of pro tools systems since 95, and it has been a very reliable product until now. I just need to make sure I can record continuously without breaking the session and also not losing anything.

I know about insertion follow playback, I just can't interrupt the talent for that.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 AM

What kind of computer system are you running? (if you have it posted somewhere I apologize, I'm new here) I would try to figure out why it crashes. as for saving in the middle while continuing to record I don't see how that would be possible. the only thing I can think of is if you can record clips to separate drives (I'm not sure if you can) so you could hand it off from one track to another. If it crashed you would still have the audio anyway. Sorry if that's no help
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM

If it is critical recording have you considered using another program? Boom Recorder or maybe Metacorder. Not sure they would see your interfaces though.

Then import then into Protools after the show is complete.

Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:36 PM

I often record and mix simultaneously in HDX PT11 for hours at a time. Don't know what version Joel is running, but I know he does the same thing. 11.2.1 didn't feel robust to me, 11.2.2 does. (That would be an opinion not based on any single fact or set of same.)

When I can, I try to run some kind of backup record. I have a MADI card and DVS in the truck utility machine running Nuendo.

Quote:
I sometimes get odd sample rate digital artifacts, like it loses sync with internal clock. With 11.2.2 it would often crash during recording.
Sorry, haven't seen either of those. Other than some meter strangeness on the ICON 11.2.2 has been solid.

How many tracks are you doing and what sample rate?

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM

A subject I have ranted about many times...

It is bad practice to save while the transport is running...if you would like an explanation for the inadvisability of this practice, do a search for my name, "transport", and "in the last six months".

I am well aware that some people have been able to get away with it so far.

I am also aware that some people have won the lottery.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Bill, because of you I never hit Save while the transport is running. See? Some of us do listen. But it takes a lot of self-control.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 12-15-2014, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am on osx 10.8.5 and downgraded to 11.2.1 with hdx on a Mac pro. Only 4 tracks at 48k, 24 bit. I have maintained and used pro tools systems for 20 years. I mostly edit and mix feature films, so I do re-record long mega sessions.

This will just be 3 mics mixed with video soundtrack for a DVD commentary. It is a very basic session, but recording is unreliable. This morning I was recording 1 mono track and kept getting the distortion issue.

Other people seem to have this problem too. It sounds like 2 bit distorted audio.