Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Audio/video scrub in ProTools 6 with Canopus/Digi002?

We're thinking of purchasing a couple of the DIgi approved Canopus ADVC-100 to run with our Digi002 units installed on PowerMac G4/1.25DP machines.

But we read that it doesn't support audio/picture scrubbing? So how does one do ADR work with the digitized video accruately?

Thanks for the input
Old 07-07-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Audio/video scrub in ProTools 6 with Canopus/Digi002?

Bump
Old 07-07-2003, 09:06 PM

If you need to scrub to do your work..toggle the output to firewire (not forgetting the playback offset)...and just use the on screen QT DV movie for scrubbing.

It's only the playback via fireiwre that has the delay. DV res on a cinema display is plenty to get the job done.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:49 AM

So that means the output to a television monitor wont do the scrub to picture thing through Canopus? That sucks.

Only on the Mac display monitor scrubbing works perfectly? But doesn't that mean the quicktime window will have to be of a decent size in order to see the lip movement and scrub audio at the same time?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:57 PM

Sam, the DV QT movie is 720x480 on screen.
It 's plenty big enough for "me" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There was a thread in Mac TDM forum about this a while back. It contained a few different options for dealing with this.

One was using 2 computers..one for video..the other for PT...and use Virtual VTR from Gallery. This will scrub as you want.

The other..was a much simpler solution:
Use the canopus for capturing and transferring your material to your computer. Then, import the QT DV movies into PT. Use a Radeon 8500 I believe (it has TV out)...and it will display the on screen QT movies out to NTSC monitor.

Basically, that setup is just like using a QT movie in PT...only it's outputting to TV via the Radeon. (not firewire)

This means..there is no latency..and it scrubs..etc.fine. I've not used this setup.
I have no idea what or if there are any compatiblity issues..or...how good the picture quality is.

As far as using on screen DV QT movies, locally....the DV codec puts less strain on your cpu then others do. I tested this myself...made many diff QT movies using different codecs,...sorenson, mpeg..etc..and they all chewed a lot more cpu...(even at smaller sizes)...than the full res DV movies did.

The thread I mentioned in the mac TDM forum discusses both these things..and you might find more info there from people who have actually used the Radeon..etc.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the time and info [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just went through the Digi002 compatability document, and the only supported video option is Canopus, and no mention of any Radeon card. So it might not be compatible already.